A basic mill to make roof trusses

Baldbloke

Hi People,

Milling would be a new venture for me as firewood and logging has been my main thing until now. 

I have access to standing dead elm which I'm hoping I will be able to use for trusses for a small steading (traditional Scottish farm building). The appeal in using the Elm is that I'm hoping it will need little or no drying as it seems (away from the butt) to be at around a 15% moisture content on dropping. 

I'd like to replicate the size and style of the existing trusses that need replaced. These are a maximum of 14' with a cross section in the region of 8" X 5". 

The quality of the finish does not have to be that great as long as the integrity of the wood remains sound.

My questions are:

Is Elm a suitable (if heavy) wood for trusses? I do appreciate that some nails may have a hard time going into this wood.

Am I being unrealistic thinking that buying one of the cheaper mills and using one of my straight aluminium ladders, that I could do a run of perhaps 60 trusses?

If so, which mill would you recommend, as this may be a one off job, and price is a consideration?

Most of the elm I'd hope to use are not that big in diameter, but are straight as they have grown in a crowded wood. Would my largest saw (a 70cc 365 Husky) with say a 20" bar be up to the job, or do I need to lay out the cash for something bigger such as a second hand MS660? Many of the trunk lengths appear (to novice me) as ideal as they run at 8/10" diameter, so I'm hoping could be cut straight down the middle for two usable lengths.

Cheers!

Edited by Baldbloke

If I were you I would get the timber extracted and milled. It will work out cheaper. Speak to Mark Council at Logie Sawmill - he has a large capacity Trakmet sawmill (same as me) and an Alstor too for extraction, if the logs are under a tonne. A sound guy and fairly local to you I think.

• Like 1

I must admit I did only skim the original post and didn't clock that there were 60 trusses to do. 

It would be madness to do it with an Alaskan. Dimensioned timber is slow with a chainsaw mill, and on a job of that size, the sawdust saved by bandsawmilling it would more than pay for the extraction and milling cost.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Big J said:

If I were you I would get the timber extracted and milled. It will work out cheaper. Speak to Mark Council at Logie Sawmill - he has a large capacity Trakmet sawmill (same as me) and an Alstor too for extraction, if the logs are under a tonne. A sound guy and fairly local to you I think.

Just over 40 miles to Dunfail. May just use that idea and run the trunks to a more local sawmill :thumbup1:

• Like 1

Hi

When are you planning the build? Im very busy Atm but could extract/mill/machine that timber fairly quickly for you and we have an automatic component saw to make all 60 trusses in minutes 

let me know if your stuck

Graham 

Edited by Graham w
  • Like 1