What type of wood is best for firewood?

Mr Burn

If there was ever to be a mantra for firewood sellers it would be a mash up of Marc Bolam's line

"Basically dry is good, not dry is bad"

and Woodwork's line:

"A heavy dry one beats a light dry one"

• Like 2

I like leylandii for lighting the fire and a good dry hardwood once it's going. (only burn dry wood)

My current favourite is  a massive cherry tree that I cut down a year ago. Can often be hard to dry but this one is roasting. Apple is next favourite, beech then oak. 

Yes I agree as long as its seasoned and dry I don't know why people get so picky with the species firewood they are burning. This winter all I have burnt is some poplar which I had dropped off free its bone dry yes it burns a bit quick but we only light the fire about 6pm when we get in so want some quick heat been down to the t shirt some nights its been that hot.

• Like 1

It's all about the mix, to get it going pop, alder, birch, pine. Cedars amazing ! Then the slow burners for heat I'd go for black thorn, haw thorn, in fact anything with thorns including false acacia. Oak but 3 year seasoned ! And elm which in my opinion is one of the best but needs to be properly seasoned! Another one that shit poem slagged off. Don't forget hornbeam which calorific wise is the highest

• Like 1

All the above and FFS don't be put off by the no nothing twats that tell you " soft wood is no good " " it tars up your flu "  Soft wood is great fire wood . Wet wood tars up the flu . North America and Scandinavia don't have a problem with it .  If seasoning your own wood ..........Keep the rain off and let plenty of air circulate .

Thank you!!!!! I've got two stove fitters that recommend me to their customers and they both them selves recommend a mix of hard and soft as long as it's seasoned! Green ash will soon eff your chimney up !
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Martin du Preez said:

It's all about the mix, to get it going pop, alder, birch, pine. Cedars amazing ! Then the slow burners for heat I'd go for black thorn, haw thorn, in fact anything with thorns including false acacia. Oak but 3 year seasoned ! And elm which in my opinion is one of the best but needs to be properly seasoned! Another one that shit poem slagged off. Don't forget hornbeam which calorific wise is the highest

Dead standing elm burns amazing

• Like 2

I burn whatever I manage to get on takedowns. As all have said above as long as its about 20% or lower in moisture you'll be fine.

I recently removed a large Eucalyptus. I've got it split and will hopefully be burning it next winter. Anyone had any success / experience burning eucalyptus?

24 minutes ago, bazoo132 said:

I burn whatever I manage to get on takedowns. As all have said above as long as its about 20% or lower in moisture you'll be fine.

I recently removed a large Eucalyptus. I've got it split and will hopefully be burning it next winter. Anyone had any success / experience burning eucalyptus?

Yep . Lots of it .  Well done for getting it split as it goes off like concrete if you leave it . Stove only as it pops and bangs and spits . Good heat .