Stump grinder teeth sharpening

ChunksBigBro

Morning Mick. Just off to do about 50 small(ish) acacia , should be fun! I did find the diamond disc a bit difficult at first but now I've got it sussed. Ive ordered another couple which should arrive today.  They do last a fair bit, unlike the green wheel. Thanks for helping me out the other week, much appreciated. 

• Thanks 1

I found a good quality angle grinder a help.

Cheap ones have more vibration and a session on the Carlton teeth would leave my hands tingling unless I wore 2 pairs of thick gloves.

Those diamond discs for the angle grinder are around 70euros over here.

Abtecs are far less, sold as 'vanity disks'?

Ty

4 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Morning David,

I found the diamond discs hard work.

Grinding today funnily enough, freshly cut oak stumps, luxury!

I tried the angle grinder ones, but they don't last two minutes and it is difficult to get the angle right and a decent edge. The only benefit I could see from them is that you can do it without removing them. Ok for a quick sharpen during a long day out with a cordless grinder. No match for the diamond bench grinder though.

SG

• 2 months later...
On 10/04/2018 at 08:44, Stumpy Grinder said:

I've moved away from them now Mick and it's the best decision ever!

I now have a heavy duty 450W Bench Grinder (Sealey Tools) which has a coarse standard wheel on one side and one of these on the other!

https://www.abtec4abrasives.com/d1a1-150-mm-x-20-mm-x-3175-mm-diamond-abrasive-grinding-wheels-413-p.asp

This company sells both as a package along with the grinder. The diamond wheel is a real game changer! Sharpens teeth like razors and seems to last forever. However, the only dust you get is from the metal (which is still hazardous) but much cleaner than the Green wheel which I would never use again. Yes, the diamond wheel is pricey, but it pays for itself with a set of teeth pretty much and lasts 20 times longer than a green wheel! Do the maths on that along with the added performance and there is no contest!

SG

Edit:

see option 4 here:

https://www.abtec4abrasives.com/150mm-heavy-duty-bench-grinder-450-watt-bg150xd99-3144-p.asp

SG

Bought one of these set ups a fortnight ago, brilliant bit of kit. I've got the knack of it now, even sharpening ones in the scrap bucket I thought were too rounded. It really does get the edge on the teeth, you get a bit of dust but nothing like off the green wheels. Wish I'd bought one years ago, so easy, even for me, a bloke who has difficulty sharpening a pencil!

3 hours ago, David Cropper said:

Bought one of these set ups a fortnight ago, brilliant bit of kit. I've got the knack of it now, even sharpening ones in the scrap bucket I thought were too rounded. It really does get the edge on the teeth, you get a bit of dust but nothing like off the green wheels. Wish I'd bought one years ago, so easy, even for me, a bloke who has difficulty sharpening a pencil!

Excellent David!  Try and get the steel off the back with the standard carbide wheel and save the diamonds for the Tungsten! Wear a mask too as the dust is not good for you!

4 minutes ago, Stumpy Grinder said:

Excellent David!  Try and get the steel off the back with the standard carbide wheel and save the diamonds for the Tungsten! Wear a mask too as the dust is not good for you!

Always wear a mask Mike with anything giving off dust. Great piece of gear, paid for itself already. 

4 hours ago, David Cropper said:

Would that set up be useable for green teeth or would you need a small wheel.

Thanks

26 minutes ago, treevolution said:

Would that set up be useable for green teeth or would you need a small wheel.

Thanks

Got to be easier doing Greenteeth as they're round as opposed to yellow jacket which are oblong and double edged. As Stumpygrinder says, look at  U tube, the bloke uses a pillar drill for accuracy but I saw one video where someone puts the tooth into a battery drill then lowers it onto the wheel.