Anyone run another buisness alongside their main one.

1 hour ago, Chessa said:

I sometimes do a bit of writing on the side, mainly for folk wanting descriptions and reviews for conferences, ideas, enterprises etc. I have tried on and off to get some poems and a novel out too. For the four months over Winter I am on the road every year - so I had used to do a bit of garden and tree maintenance in the UK and overseas (away from my groundskeeping and local gardens). But, last year I became ensconced in the Isles of Scilly - where I found a place to write, mess about on boats and get involved in the early picking of narcissii. The year before (after my life took an unimaginable turn - which involved a great deal of loss), I just went climbing and walking in Scotland and Spain - thinking of one or two projects/business ideas I have to do with brewing, naturism, log cabins and woodland funerals. This year, the mountains and via Ferrata of Europe are calling me; as well as another idea connected with Scandinavia and saunas and herbs.

So, I guess my other main job is a dreamer! Sometimes I dream with others, or even give my dreams away...I live on a shoestring, a (broken) wing and a prayer. I trust in Nature.

My first outdoor job - aged 15 or 16 was harvesting and preparing roses from glass houses, for a Dutch garden nursery along with families from Tenerife. I was a secret academic though, but turned my back on furtherment after Uni because of my love of climbing rocks, which began as a teen. I travelled to crags and cliffs all over the UK and Europe until my late 20’s - kipping outside, enveloped in Nature; and co-ran a climbing wall.

I tried several other careers, past-times and lives - some based indoors, which was hard for me...and raised two children during that time. That’s a whole other “business”: a life’s work for anyone: raising a family; for all of us, one and all!

Looking back, it’s so lovely, after doing so many jobs, living in so many places, meeting so many different people; tasting so many possible lives and travelling with all kinds of dreams - to have come full circle 30 odd years later - still working with plants and trees, still climbing things, living on the move - and predominantly an outside life; writing, and always incorrigibly dreaming.

Follow your dreams and try as many different jobs and lives as you can muster - if that is your path. It is not everyone’s of course. Each and every path is so different and gives rise to wonder...a totally different sort of “profit”.

I can't quite decide on you Chessa..   some of what you put down is lovely to read and other times it comes across as self indulgent waffle..  

Oh and believe it or not I always fancied myself as a writer, storyteller..   but then I watched dirty rotten scoundrels.

The part where Micheal Cane talks of his past, where he says he realized he had taste but not talent..  well I'll be blown I said to myself.  Thats me that is... 

I think the only writing I ever did was a begging letter to a friends ex he wanted to get back with...   asked if I'd write a letter explaining how much he loved her and missed her..  WTF I thought, then I thought, well, why not!!!..

took me a hr or so to compose but managed it OK in the end...  when he read it or should that be after reading the first couple of lines he asked what the fk this shit was all about..   don't worry I said, women love crap like this...  I'd wrote it in the style of Shakespearean verse..

Oh how my heart doth bleed my poor wrenched bones ache, that I might mend this broken vase i once called love...   sort of went along  those lines for a page or two from what I remember.  

he got back with his ex and I'm still waiting on my tenner...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chessa said:

“Self indulgent waffle” is probably down to my “Asparagus” (Aspergers) - as a dear one calls it: and wanting to share, rather than keep things all to myself - but not really knowing how to follow the rules of communication adequately.

(Like my friend with dyslexia who loved the challenge of a weekly crossword puzzle).

I’ve never written in “the style” of someone else, only myself. 

I’ve never written for someone else to get back with their ex, but I have written plenty in terror of losing my own loved one.

...and yes: I lost.

“Women” don’t “love crap like this...” nor does anyone. Having been mercilessly bullshitted to in the past, I can vouch for that.

Honesty and authenticity are what counts.

I’ve never written for money, for many reasons. But life has a habit of evolving - so who knows?

I have been silenced many times in my life. 

But still, I write to share life...whether it is read or not is the choice of others, not mine.

My mate with dyslexia bought a warehouse! You can imagine our disappointment!

He then tried religion.... but couldn’t “find” his Dog!

??‍♀️???‍♀️

Some folks just can't settle to one job. I looked up burlesque dancing and it just looks like a coy stripper to me.

It was an insomniac agnostic dyslexic who laid awake all night wondering if there really is a dog kevin and a dyslexic pimp who bought into a warehouse.

On 25/05/2018 at 19:27, Chessa said:

(Like my friend with dyslexia who loved the challenge of a weekly crossword puzzle)

I'm more into jigsaw puzzles, I was pleased to finish the last one in under 2 months. It had more than 10 pieces and said 3 to 4 years on the box :congrats: