Wood chipper insurance

tonytree

As the title suggests, just looking for recommendations on insurance for my wood chipper.

My current insurer (who I’ve got my public liability with) has put in the terms it will not be covered from 9pm to 6am and days I’m not working. Just wondering if this is normal and what insurers do other people use for there chippers.

Thanks

We just re did our insurance and got some wildly varying rates..

Trust were cheapest on PI around £3K  but wanted around £3K for tools and plant

NFU wanted over 9K for PI but only £600 for the tools..

Both were supplied the same info, including details of a £15K claim and both were new for old on small plant, climbing kits etc..(£35k worth) but replacement on the chippers, grinders etc (£65K worth).

NFU also initially stated they would not just insure the tools but later changed their minds..

I also found it interesting that Trust told me that after a claim they load the premium by 40% in the next year with additional premiums for the next 5 years .. So if you are paying £1,500 a year for insurance I estimate it really is not worth making a claim for less then £2,500-£3,000 

3 hours ago, tonytree said:

As the title suggests, just looking for recommendations on insurance for my wood chipper.

My current insurer (who I’ve got my public liability with) has put in the terms it will not be covered from 9pm to 6am and days I’m not working. Just wondering if this is normal and what insurers do other people use for there chippers.

Thanks

That is pants! A pointless exercise!! You’d only be insured for the periods you probably least need it? Might as well spend the money on something useful like beer & kebabs! The insurers are hedging their bet so far as to make their service meaningless. Who is it so we can all body swerve ‘em?

• Like 1

Don't trust any insurance company. I changed my PL this year, doing other stuff.

What was agreed on the phone was nothing like what the paperwork said. 

14 day cooling off period..... If you ain't sure you are covered get someone who does know to read over it for you.

Thinking you are insured and being insured are two totally different things.

• Like 4

Both were supplied the same info, including details of a £15K claim and both were new for old on small plant, climbing kits etc..(£35k worth) but replacement on the chippers, grinders etc (£65K worth).

NFU also initially stated they would not just insure the tools but later changed their minds..

I also found it interesting that Trust told me that after a claim they load the premium by 40% in the next year with additional premiums for the next 5 years .. So if you are paying £1,500 a year for insurance I estimate it really is not worth making a claim for less then £2,500-£3,000 

I’ll have to try nfu, I did try trust but they wouldn’t just insure plant without PL.

That is pants! A pointless exercise!! You’d only be insured for the periods you probably least need it? Might as well spend the money on something useful like beer & kebabs! The insurers are hedging their bet so far as to make their service meaningless. Who is it so we can all body swerve ‘em?

I thought it was a bit pointless, like you say they are the times I will less likely need it. I’m with arborisk

11 hours ago, benedmonds said:

In reality your better off saving the money and just have the v basic PL/EL and make your security spot on, unless you get cleaned out its not worth making a claim. we never leave plant on site unless its as good or better than our yard security and small tools are never left un secured or sitting in a garden etc, at our yard there locked in a steel container within a brick built unit with cctv alarms etc .

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ian C said:

In reality your better off saving the money and just have the v basic PL/EL and make your security spot on, unless you get cleaned out its not worth making a claim. we never leave plant on site unless its as good or better than our yard security and small tools are never left un secured or sitting in a garden etc, at our yard there locked in a steel container within a brick built unit with cctv alarms etc .

Where did you say your yard is?

No..... just kidding.

It really pees me off that Insurance is supposed to be a service where we all pay a premium into a pool then those who need to claim are paid out of that pool. But if you do claim (paid out of the pool) you then are punished the following year because they actually had to do what the original contract said!

It's like going into a restaurant, paying for your meal and then having to pay a load more because you had a meal??????????  

• Like 4