How are you guys coping with GDPR compliance?

GardenKit

The part I haven't quite got to grips with yet (but it doesn't matter because I'm not going to do it anyway) is whether it is necessary to register (and pay the registration fee.)

"...The Government has announced a new charging structure for data controllers to ensure the continued funding of the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)..."  https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/accountability-and-governance/guide-to-the-data-protection-fee/

So, what that means is, you have to register, pay a fee to pay for the process of registration...  If I've ever heard of a bigger scam?  

Pay a fee to maintain the cost of a QUANGO that needs to check if you've paid a fee?  Give me strength!

I've done a privacy policy statement for the webpage and an audit of data storage, that's about as much as I'm going to do...  

The massive majority of people I've spoken to are giving it a DGI!

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 1

Only thing I've seen of it is a dealer emailing me and saying 'due to new regulations we need your permission to continue to contact you, please respond yes or no' (or something similar). 

I don't know anyone who's going to bother but with statements like fines up to 4% of global income I'm guessing they're targeting larger companies. 

It seems like a massive waste of time and (our) money like the BSL scheme, mtd and most farming regulations. Other than creating a few jobs I fail to see how these schemes benefit anyone when there's laws in place anyway. 

• Like 1

Does it apply to us as small companies?

Does your organisation have fewer than 250 employees?

The GDPR broadly expects all small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to comply in full with the Regulation, but it makes some exceptions for organisations that have fewer than 250 employees.

The Regulation acknowledges that many SMEs pose a smaller risk to the privacy of data subjects than larger organisations. For example, Article 30 of the Regulation states that organisations with fewer than 250 employees are not required to maintain a record of processing activities under its responsibility, unless “the processing it carries out is likely to result in a risk to the rights and freedoms of data subjects, the processing is not occasional, or the processing includes special categories of data […] or personal data relating to criminal convictions and offences

2 hours ago, gdh said:

Only thing I've seen of it is a dealer emailing me and saying 'due to new regulations we need your permission to continue to contact you, please respond yes or no' (or something similar). 

From the way I read it a permission may not be granted via email, but has to be in writing and signed. This hard copy then has to be safely kept on file. So not only will we be keeping data such as names and address, but also the customers signature!

But, like I say, I really don't understand what we have to do yet, and time is running out.