Turning down work

forestboy1978

Happened again today. Went home looked at the video. Figured all the mortises have to be done by hand to marry with their "home built" effort, all posts in exact same positions as current ones meaning a ball ache and patio to cut up etc for 7.5 meters of closeboard and gate. Said sorry, no thanks.

Customer massively pissy lol

• Like 1

I Needed a plasterer to skim my loft . All boarded out taped etc . Called a bloke . He came round looked and said yea I will get back to you with a price . A couple of weeks went by ...nothing . Phoned him up and he said Oh yea , forgot all about it . I will get back to you .  3 weeks later nothing . Phoned another bloke . Came that day , said £200 . I said ok . Came next day and did it . Good job too . Why did the first bloke just say I DON'T WANT TO DO IT  ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I Needed a plasterer to skim my loft . All boarded out taped etc . Called a bloke . He came round looked and said yea I will get back to you with a price . A couple of weeks went by ...nothing . Phoned him up and he said Oh yea , forgot all about it . I will get back to you .  3 weeks later nothing . Phoned another bloke . Came that day , said £200 . I said ok . Came next day and did it . Good job too . Why did the first bloke just say I DON'T WANT TO DO IT  ?

Cos he's a manlet who's scared of the NO

7 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

Cos he's a manlet who's scared of the NO

What he is is a twatt that delayed the plastering of my loft by a month . just say no . I cant do it ....Im all booked up .....I am a man down .......I don't have the equipment ....I'v just come out of hospital ........ The wise woman who live in the cave on the hill said beware ! etc etc .

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Stubby said:

What he is is a twatt that delayed the plastering of my loft by a month . just say no . I cant do it ....Im all booked up .....I am a man down .......I don't have the equipment ....I'v just come out of hospital ........ The wise woman who live in the cave on the hill said beware ! etc etc .

Yes he is a twat I 100% agree. We are currently discussing one of my top 5 pet peeves.

It is more annoying than excess packaging even.. OMG excess packaging...

• Haha 1

I find taking the time to explain exactly WHY the job is impossibly difficult can get one off the hook. Although it always requires a lengthy engineering/biology/chemistry lesson to get them up to speed, most people are intelligent enough to grasp the situation.

Once they are in the picture and realise the reasons why it's nearly impossible, or will be impossibly expensive, they're more sympathetic and also appreciative that you took the time to educate them. If they still want to go ahead with a waste-of-money job then fine, at least they go in with their eyes open. Or may be more receptive to alternative ways of doing it. 

But again, I'm also in a rural boondocks type environment so I want to stay friendly with everyone, this approach might be a waste of time when you're dealing with people you don't know and will never meet again...

1 hour ago, forestboy1978 said:

Do it often. Can be quite complex explaining things that require a type of structural/ logistics mindset to people. Some get it, some just don't or they think you're BSing them

I agree. Sometime I explain but almost feel generally they either don’t have a clue about the reality of the job, or that as you say you feel like your over emphasising everything to justify the higher price. Largely it depends how much I like the customer and the job!

19 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I agree. Sometime I explain but almost feel generally they either don’t have a clue about the reality of the job, or that as you say you feel like your over emphasising everything to justify the higher price. Largely it depends how much I like the customer and the job!

I make a conscious effort NOT to spend too much time and go into too much detail....

I've found on a couple of occasions, it's just a ploy to suck the info / sensible approach out of someone that has a clue so that they can describe what they want doing to the local idiot.

Certainly a fine balance and it takes some doing to spot the chancers before too much time is wasted!

• Like 5