Your own biomass plant

Baldbloke

5 hours ago, ash_smith123 said:

That's odd as I have 3 domestic customers with 65kw boilers and 1 with 80kw.

I have just fired off an email to [email protected] asking whether I can now apply for the RHI tariff. They promise a response within 10 days. 

If the recent changes allow me to apply I'll be owing you a drink:thumbup:

I have just fired off an email to [email protected] asking whether I can now apply for the RHI tariff. They promise a response within 10 days. 

If the recent changes allow me to apply I'll be owing you a drink[emoji106]

50% of the RHI would be fine [emoji6][emoji23]

The only problem you might have now is that the domestic RHI has stopped I think! Worth a try though

• Like 1

six years on a tiny commercial set up  40 kw

all good

vigas boiler and 2000 litre tank

door handle stuck which i cut off and replaced for about £20

and two new fire bricks

so pretty reliable

burning 100 percent sitka for first 4 years collected from forestry commision clearfell site so fuel cost

minimal plus my time

wood getting scarce up here now thou

initiative will be required but not insurrmoutable         i hope

paper work biggest hastle but my wife deals with that 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/04/2018 at 18:44, ash_smith123 said:
Whoever told you it was too big for the RHI was lying [emoji848]

Domestic would have run for 7 years and if it's a big net very well insulated house you would have got a good chunk on domestic RHI!

Here is my recent mail. Don’t appear to have been lied to[emoji3]

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have just spent a morning trawling through guidance on whether I am able to apply for Domestic RHI tariff payments for a 60 Kw log biomass boiler installed in March 2013 by an MCS approved installer, but unfortunately am no wiser than when I started.

Shortly after the boiler was installed there was a consultation limiting a Domestic Consumers' home to a wood log boiler of 45 Kw. At the time the MCS approved installer insisted that he could not install a small biomass boiler that was not capable of sufficiently heating a home. This had the result that my boiler was deemed too large to comply with the regulations. Having spent over £25,000, I then found I was ineligible of getting any sort of subsidy payment to recoup some of my outlay.

However I now note that there does not seem to be any sort of restriction on boiler size, but do see payments are being capped so that a larger house does not over benefit from the scheme.

My wife and I are joint owners of our home and fully paid for the biomass plant without any grant assistance. I do have an EPC certificate although it is now over 2 years old and improvements to roof and loft insulation were carried out after following its' recommendations. A new survey could be undertaken to reflect the improvements.

Given that the original installation was in 2013 I would simply like to know following the latest criteria requirements whether there is any point in me applying for domestic RHI? Could my installer recertify the installation to comply with the current regs if that was needed?

Kind regards,

Baldbloke

And here’s the reply received today:

Dear Mr Baldbloke,

Part of the eligibility requirements to apply require that a valid MCS certificate is issued for your installation. Even though the biomass plant may have been installed by an MCS accredited installer, your biomass plants capacity is over 60kW and cannot be issued with a certificate from MCS.

As such, your installation is unable to meet the eligibility criteria of the scheme.

Kind Regards,

Domestic RHI Officer

Domestic RHI

Commonwealth House

32 Albion Street

Glasgow

G1 1LH

Tel: 0300 003 0744

www.ofgem.gov.uk

Follow us:

Sent: 06 April 2018 12:25

To: Domestic RHI

Subject: Domestic RHI and whether I can apply.