Uprating a Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 towing capacity

Big J

Slightly off topic but do watch out for the small copper washer that seats the injectors with sprinters even new ones so I have been told these washers snap and then black sticky stuff glues itself to the engine and it’s a f###ing nightmare to remove I sold mine for export when it happened to mine

• Like 1

Spoke to SV Tech and with the installation of an appropriately rated tow bar, the sprinter is good for 2800kg. Replating the vehicle with a fresh VIN plate costs £260, so quite straightforward. I think 3500kg is possible, but I don't need it and can't be bothered with the hassle. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 07:06, difflock said:

Purely from perhaps hazy recall,

but I remember reading some blurb, sometime in the past 45 years, where a Range Rover, could legally tow 4500kg, if fitted with the optional air brake kit and a pintle hitch.

This would then, by my reckoning,  apply to other vehicles normally rated to tow 3500kg.

If the MAM's, GTW's, etc etc etc allowed.

mth

Landrovers were rated for 3500kg on over run brakes & 4000kg on air / active brakes.

Its a bit of a mute point now as only people with a BE licence pre 19-01-2013 can tow a trailer plated to over 3500kg any way.

17 minutes ago, Justme said:

Landrovers were rated for 3500kg on over run brakes & 4000kg on air / active brakes.

Its a bit of a mute point now as only people with a BE licence pre 19-01-2013 can tow a trailer plated to over 3500kg any way.

I’ve been thinking about this, if you had CE, does this enable you to tow one of these fifth wheel BE rigs? As would your license not still be BE 3,5t vehicle plus 3,5t trailer. even with the CE entitlement is it not once a vehicle is registered as C that you can go over 3,5t trailer? Would you have to register the tow vehicle as a C rather than B category?  

14 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

I’ve been thinking about this, if you had CE, does this enable you to tow one of these fifth wheel BE rigs? As would your license not still be BE 3,5t vehicle plus 3,5t trailer. even with the CE entitlement is it not once a vehicle is registered as C that you can go over 3,5t trailer? Would you have to register the tow vehicle as a C rather than B category?  

In a word no, if you mean one with the trailer plated to over 3500kg.

Some are plated to 3500kg but are actually more as up to 1500kg becomes an applied load on the vehicle.

The C cat starts at 3501kg.

So if your tow vehicle is below that the CE is not the licence you would be driving on.