Running business from home

forestboy1978

I don't think you've got an issue. A lot of my friends and colleagues hav big sheds that they do all sorts in from wood turning to rebuilding bikes and machinery and usually there's some crossover use into their business including people hanging about drinking tea/coffee loading unloading stuff. You never said whether he specifically said he was gonna claim you run a business from there?
Just ignore him n crack on wi life

7 hours ago, Martin du Preez said:

Define garden? What happens if it's 16 acres ?

Makes no odds, you may have a huge garden, or a garden plus a paddock or other agricultural land. None of this land can be used for none agricultural business, unless you get planing content.

Fortunately most planing departments are reactive, not proactive, so as long as your not upsetting anyone you can quietly get away with a lot. As meany do.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, forestboy1978 said:

Yeah but you aren't allowed to run a business out of it and that's my point. At what point is your business being run out of your shed? Can I build gates in there to sell? Can I maintain tools and plant? Can the lads turn up in the morning and make coffee in there and move tools in and out of the van etc. etc. 

I'm just being thorough. If I had to take the shed down for whatever reason then I'd take the kick in the nuts and so be it. But for this prick... over my dead body is that shed coming down...

There's thousands of one man arb firms running out of shed and garages all over the country, unless you piss off you people living around you I don't think you will have much problem.

I had a naighbour complain to the council about my landy and trailer being parked on my driveway when I 1st started, one of the planning officers came out and after a bit of a discussion decided as he went home in a council owned vehicle and did computer work at home but surely wasn't running the council planning department from home there was no difference and couldn't exactly do anything about it.
Like others said crack on till told otherwise then crack on again till told something is going to be enforced, bigger things to worry about!

• Like 2

My mate got pulled for storing flamable liquids in his shed because of a nosey gobshite neighbour.

He had to get a lockable metal container thats fixed into a concrete surface.

Apart from that id say your alright.

Get on with your life fu#k the neighbour

Edited by stihlmadasever
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, westphalian said:

I’m gonna be doing the same. Building a Shed with my own milled wood to make garden furniture etc. I see you have a circular saw. Do you have a mincer or shredder big enough to take limbs or part torsos? Job emoji736.png

Not quite the same is it?

Making garden furniture at your address every day is a world away from storing tools and leaving for work every morning.

Probably not an issue where you live but it is a very different kettle of fish.

42 minutes ago, westphalian said:

I’m gonna be doing the same. Building a Shed with my own milled wood to make garden furniture etc. I see you have a circular saw. Do you have a mincer or shredder big enough to take limbs or part torsos? Job emoji736.png

I considered it but I just don't have the time to build it. It's definitely within my skill set but I figured first time getting it perfect could take me a month and I just didn't have that amount of time. Had to dig out out for the base also by hand on this one so it was over a week just to get a purpose built one basically up and ready. Then another 20 hours shelving and 20 hours whacking cuprinol ducks back endlessly on it. 

BTW ducks back is the next best thing to pressure treatment but wont go on planed timber well. If you can be arsed with 3-4 coats it will go on and looks amazing IMO but it's a sod. 

This is what I bought http://www.shedswarehouse.com/id-2707-20ft_x_10ft_Deluxe_Tongue_and_Groove_Workshop_With_Double_Doors_Extra_Side_Door___5_Windows_(12mm_TandG_Floor_and_Roof).aspx