Running business from home

forestboy1978

I'm slightly suspicious about the timing, for the council to write that letter and it arrive only two days later he would have had to go back to the office and be straight on to it with a first class stamp - doesn't sound like council to me.
I think it's possible the letter was drafted before the visit, clues being it doesn't mention the visit but rather says 'brought to our attention' and also that it says 'substantial building' and building regs, which I would not have thought apply unless it is within 1m of the boundary (and over 15m2 floor area).

Probably is worth checking the building regs as that would be a different enforcement and you wouldn't want to be caught out, but I have a wooden double garage that didn't need building regs so should be a breeze.

Your planning consultant will surely say but as far as I can see the only thing potentially wrong is if the shed is only for business use so store some personal gear as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I'm slightly suspicious about the timing, for the council to write that letter and it arrive only two days later he would have had to go back to the office and be straight on to it with a first class stamp - doesn't sound like council to me.
I think it's possible the letter was drafted before the visit, clues being it doesn't mention the visit but rather says 'brought to our attention' and also that it says 'substantial building' and building regs, which I would not have thought apply unless it is within 1m of the boundary (and over 15m2 floor area).

Probably is worth checking the building regs as that would be a different enforcement and you wouldn't want to be caught out, but I have a wooden double garage that didn't need building regs so should be a breeze.

Your planning consultant will surely say but as far as I can see the only thing potentially wrong is if the shed is only for business use so store some personal gear as well.

Yeah it's 18m2 and it is right up to the fence. I'm going to shunt it over 6 inches so I can fit guttering and if I have to reduce it's lenght by 1 m making it 15m2 it wont be the end of the earth. 

Commissioned a planning consultant to liaise with the council. 

He said that there are no guarantees but he'd be staggered if I'm forced to take it down because ultimately it's within regulations. Need to fit guttering and prove it's used for domestic purposes and storing of some equipment and take photos and measurements etc. and should be good.

God I hope so. I can't wait to tell that guy to suck my **s

sounds to me you are only falling foul of putting the shed closer than 2M to the boundary right ?

This means permitted development doesn't apply. 

Lets ignore the work issue, as you wont work from home and they cant prove you do. Just because you have work gear at home doesn't mean anything.

It also doesn't matter your front garden looks like a pikey site, its your garden to do as you will with.

Bang in an application you will get it approved 99%. If they refuse, which they wont, then appeals are free.

Take some pics or use google earth and find 20 sheds within half a mile built close to fences and keep it in your back pocket.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with having it inside of 2 meters to the boundary as long as it's below 50% of garden or <30m2 and at 2.5 meters or below.

Purely a business thing and the run off potentially wrecking his fence. Business is bullshit and run-off will be remedied (at last possible moment ;-))

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, Shaff said:

Good for you fella

Gets right up my hooter when neighbours think they can call the shots over petty shizzle.  Had a few run ins myself in the past. 

Enjoy your shed?

Cheers mate. 

If any of my neighbours had come to me with a legit issue where the shed was bothering them I would have re contoured it or done whatever necessary to not cause them hassle. They are just pricks, they don't even live there. 

I can't wait to give them the finger lol.