Running business from home

forestboy1978

I've got loads of time. I'm gonna be like Petrocelli, if you are old enough to remember, he used to add a brick course to his house after solving crimes in the 70s and never finished it before the show was pulled.

In fact I will have to build a drying shed first to dry the timber so FK how long before completion

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, westphalian said:

I've got loads of time. I'm gonna be like Petrocelli, if you are old enough to remember, he used to add a brick course to his house after solving crimes in the 70s and never finished it before the show was pulled.

In fact I will have to build a drying shed first to dry the timber so FK how long before completion

Haha, good for you. 

I am not old enough to remember (Hence why I don't have loads of time) but I get the picture you're painting. 

• Like 1

It is a long story but I once got into a similar-ish situation. I suppose I might have been doing some paid work; hedge trimming, fencing, landscaping using sometimes my tractor and trailer, a vintage one, one of several. This was a fairly short period 2 months between one job ending and another starting. From my mothers property which was a 1/3 acre plot and although not isolated didn't have any close or overlooking neighbours. My mother did run a business from the house. However shortly after I had started my new job and was luckily completely, officially full time employed, 250 miles away, there was a visit from a council official; investigating reports we were running unauthorised businesses from the property.

He agreed that my stored and mothballed tractor collection all like 30 years old or much more, did not constitute any form of business and that kind of pastime is in no way a problem in a rural area.

However my mother was doing some dog grooming, mobile and in her home and had done for years. The official was most helpful and said that as long as the business does not require any special modifications to the fabric of the building that would really make it no longer a normal house, then that is not a problem. I don't see that your shed would really be anything other than a normal "household" shed. In fact the official played a blinder; he in no way thought there was a problem, hence the complaint was of a nuisance nature. He also let my Mum know that in fact; there was some kind of initiative at that time to promote her kind of enterprise and a grant was available to improve business. She did and got a few hundred quid; obviously she told all the locals that she mixed with, this made sure that whoever complained got to hear for sure!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Gray git said:

I had a naighbour complain to the council about my landy and trailer being parked on my driveway when I 1st started, one of the planning officers came out and after a bit of a discussion decided as he went home in a council owned vehicle and did computer work at home but surely wasn't running the council planning department from home there was no difference and couldn't exactly do anything about it.
Like others said crack on till told otherwise then crack on again till told something is going to be enforced, bigger things to worry about!

Good example....

I get weekly planning enforcement notices and weekly 'cases closed' notices for Cornwall.  I used to read them every week but it very quickly became obvious that nothing tangible (that's not entirely accurate, of the 10's of cases per week, maybe 1 per month were valid infringements and the remainder were petty complaints that never went anywhere) ever seemed to happen - so I stopped reading them.  

It'll go nowhere...  Forget it! 

• Like 1

On 04/04/2018 at 13:04, forestboy1978 said:

Got a slight issue guys. You may be able to advise. 

Basically I build a large 6m x 3m shed in my garden. It is legal in the sense that it is less than 50% of the garden (35% ish) and at or below 2.5 meters in height. 

I knew I'd get a problem from one person and low and behold, just as I'd put the last lick of paint on the shed he has come round to complain some 2 months after it has been built. He said he's complaining to the council at which point I said, good for you, that's all that's needed to discuss and closed the door on him.

Some background on the smarmy prick. We fell out after he asked me to testify against his previous tenants in order for her to have her "children taken away from her". She was a battle axe but she was their mother and not evil so I told him to ***k himself, despite not liking her too much. He's really a piece of s**t so above all I want to come out of this on top on general principle.

Anyhow, only thing he might have me on is running a business from the premises. I do obviously store some tools and machinery in the shed and I use my pc for quotes etcetera. are there any bases that I need to cover. I haven't registered the premises for running a business or anything like that. Most of my work is off site. 99%+

thanks in advance.

I’ve had this. It’s 2.5m to gutter height, if that’s any help. Just call your local planning dept and ask. Say you are considering building a  shed in the garden.

I think that time is also a factor I have been running my business from home for the past 18yrs I live in listed house in a conservation area in town planners came round last yr after neighbour complained couldn’t do much due to length of time operating

I think that time is also a factor I have been running my business from home for the past 18yrs I live in listed house in a conservation area in town planners came round last yr after neighbour complained couldn’t do much due to length of time operating

Looks like a garden shed to me and a nice one at that I wouldn’t have put in for planning for it and if you’ve been running your business from your house for ten year and can prove it tuners nothing they can do, I store my work gear at home to just like everyone else running a business don’t think anyone is going to do anything about it

The council came round today! He had a look at the shed and had a look inside. He said it's absolutely fine and all within the law. 

So....

WAR!!!

First thing I'm going to do is catch him unaware so I know I'm not being recorded. I'm going to spell it out to him that once he needs new tenants I'm going to warn all of them that he's an intrusive landlord who is constantly coming round and invading tenants privacy. I'm going to inform them that he tried to get my assistance in having a woman's children taken away from her. That he's an egregious prick and certainly not the sort of person you want as a landlord.

I'm then going to explain to him that if he treats the girls next door badly or takes their deposit, or keeps coming round for no *****ng reason whatsoever I'm going to contact the police and tell them that he has been harassing me. I'll say that he keeps coming to my door and banging on the door despite being told to stay away and I want this information filed. Any prospective buyers will be hearing chainsaws and disc grinders running through their entire visitation so he wont be able to rent or sell the property. 

The ******g ***k ****ing ****er ****er

Nope, better idea.

I'm just going to let him know he's made an enemy of me. He should treat his current tenants well because he wont be able to get new ones cos I'll let them know what a cock sucker he is. 

I wont let him know I'll make it hard from him to sell. I'll just do so. All the while I'll keep an eye on the sale price. If it goes low enough I'll get an agent to purchase the property on my behalf lol.