Mobile wood processer

Bob h

4 minutes ago, Justme said:

Honestly I think too many people are doing it.

Prices are too low.

Yep.

I bought one with the aim of doing lots of contract work to justify it for our small logs business. As said plenty of them out there already at low prices if Ebay is anything to go by.  Just hire someone in to get your logs done. No hassles with machine maintenance,  breakdowns and storage plus a guy who does it day in day out should more productive than yourself learning the ropes.

5 minutes ago, Bob h said:

Thanks for the prompt reply 

Hi I mainly thinking of buying it as it seems impossible to hire one around where i live so more for my own use but would be nice to earn off of it as well.

I would only do it part time 

If you've a lot of wood to do for yourself and also have a lot of other income avenues it can be a decent earner for your spare days (???)
I use mine to process a few artic loads of softwood /year for sale as firewood, hire it out to farms, crofts and other firewood suppliers for a few weeks at a time and hire it out with myself to home owners on a daily rate.
Hiring it for a few weeks at a time on it's own is where the money is to be made, but be VERY careful who you hire it to and get a good rental contract drawn up legally before even considering this route, otherwise you could end up with large bills and an angry exchange of words !
Hiring it with yourself as an operator is just another way of making a few quid, but it's hard work for not a lot of income (I can earn 3x as much just by clicking a camera shutter button)
Mine has paid for itself in just under three years and now it owes me nothing and will still be worth 2/3 what I paid for it were I to sell it.  If I did sell it I'd miss it greatly, not for the income, but for the little time it takes to split a years supply of firewood for the stove.  I also like meeting people and going out with it on various hires gets me away from the same  old same old for a while.

Pretty certain that banks don't pay as much interest on the £12k initial investment, last time I looked (this morning) my ISA was paying 0.2% 

6 minutes ago, bilke_user said:

If you've a lot of wood to do for yourself and also have a lot of other income avenues it can be a decent earner for your spare days (???)
I use mine to process a few artic loads of softwood /year for sale as firewood, hire it out to farms, crofts and other firewood suppliers for a few weeks at a time and hire it out with myself to home owners on a daily rate.
Hiring it for a few weeks at a time on it's own is where the money is to be made, but be VERY careful who you hire it to and get a good rental contract drawn up legally before even considering this route, otherwise you could end up with large bills and an angry exchange of words !
Hiring it with yourself as an operator is just another way of making a few quid, but it's hard work for not a lot of income (I can earn 3x as much just by clicking a camera shutter button)
Mine has paid for itself in just under three years and now it owes me nothing and will still be worth 2/3 what I paid for it were I to sell it.  If I did sell it I'd miss it greatly, not for the income, but for the little time it takes to split a years supply of firewood for the stove.  I also like meeting people and going out with it on various hires gets me away from the same  old same old for a while.

Pretty certain that banks don't pay as much interest on the £12k initial investment, last time I looked (this morning) my ISA was paying 0.2% 

Yes I think this is where i am been cutting for more years then I like to think about with a chainsaw then splitting wood with axe .

So this does look a way to go but the initial outlay is something to think about and would like to think I could earn off it as well .

This would of been so easy if someone around here done this service. 

Maybe ask on here or on local appropriate facebook pages. Someone on the local farming facebook page asked about firewood processing and within a few hours there were loads offers when I had thought I was the only one around here doing it. Must be a few operators in you neck of the woods. If not maybe you will find plenty of work.