Spikes

thetoolnut

3 hours ago, thetoolnut said:
3 hours ago, Alex O said:
Have just replaced my spikes 2 months ago with the Distel carbon ones, with Velcro tops and leather straps on the bottom. I think these are by far my most comfortable spikes I’ve ever owned.

Read more  

The aluminium ones suit my budget, velcro top straps and leather bottom straps. Prob get an extra set of long gaffs.

Why the hankering for extra long gaffs ??? They’re pretty loooooong.......like good for Sequoias type long . ?

I like the Distel Carbons very much and have used and tip toed across concrete on them for quite a while now,  but if the aluminium ones are the same pattern , they might mean less tip toeing !!!! 

(You need to preserve the carbon bottom ......ooer)

I’ve just replaced the lower Velcro’s with leather straps, and if I’m being honest, i preferred the comfort and fine tuning of the Velcro over the leather but not the fact it sometimes migrated around the shank .  

• Like 1

Why the hankering for extra long gaffs ??? They’re pretty loooooong.......like good for Sequoias type long . ?
I like the Distel Carbons very much and have used and tip toed across concrete on them for quite a while now,  but if the aluminium ones are the same pattern , they might mean less tip toeing !!!! 
(You need to preserve the carbon bottom ......ooer)
I’ve just replaced the lower Velcro’s with leather straps, and if I’m being honest, i preferred the comfort and fine tuning of the Velcro over the leather but not the fact it sometimes migrated around the shank .  
Long gaffs for ivy covered stems, nice to have one set of spikes with short gaffs and a second set with long gaffs.

If you want something cheap for just a second set... As much as treehog could be a dirty word! I have a set and to be honest there bloody brilliant so much so I climb all the time in them now... Not sure they will last year's but for the price bout £150 if I remember there tip top there's my 10p do as you wish! :)

4 minutes ago, mawsonarb said:

If you want something cheap for just a second set... As much as treehog could be a dirty word! I have a set and to be honest there bloody brilliant so much so I climb all the time in them now... Not sure they will last year's but for the price bout £150 if I remember there tip top there's my 10p do as you wish! :)

They don't do adjustable length spurs though if I remember. I've climbed on TH spikes before and they destroyed my shins, I'm 6' 5" though so need adjustable/longer stuff!

• Like 1

If you want something cheap for just a second set... As much as treehog could be a dirty word! I have a set and to be honest there bloody brilliant so much so I climb all the time in them now... Not sure they will last year's but for the price bout £150 if I remember there tip top there's my 10p do as you wish! [emoji4]
The alloy Gekos are within my budget, couldn't justify the price of the carbons.
  • Like 1

Don't get treehogs. They're crap. Uncomfortable and really difficult to to tighten properly

Replaced them with Ally geckos. So they're an extra £100 over treehogs, but well worth it. I never enjoyed climbing with spikes until i got the geckos. All velcro version too, none of this struggling with buckles malarky.

• Like 1

I’ve got ally geckos ?, life’s too short to scrimp on something you are gonna be in for half your climbing career, that 100 you save will seem very inconsequential when your chogging down with a 088 and your feet shins and calves are being tortured by crap spikes!

• Like 7