Crane fed chippers and brashy material

Spruced

How are the big crane fed chippers at handling brashy material especially Leylandii (bane of my life). I'm looking to upgrade due to increasing work volume and am also getting older. I've noticed that a lot of crane fed chippers struggle to take in clumps of small branches and it takes a bit of stuffing to get them going which is tough enough with a free swinging grapple and rotator.

Any Heizohack/Mus Max owners feedback would be greatly appreciated.

If you have top lift on a heizo it's not to bad as you can gather up a bundle of smaller stuff and drop it on the bottom conveyer, close your grab and crush it down and let it pull it in to the open rotor then drop top roller to pull it all in or vary small stuff with larger to pull it through, really depends on your skill and dexterity with the crane as to how effective you can be with the machine.
Ugly thorn not a problem

Conifer go's the same way really.
  • Like 3

A company I do a bit with fix and repair 

the Komptech brand of stuff they make two chipper types and three models 

“510” tractor pulled 400hp needed at the pto drive it 

5010 direct. Truck mounted driven by the trucks 480hp engine

8010 truck mounted driven by its own 780hp cat engine

I have seen both truck mounted units in action both handle brash with ease you just change the drum and the blower to the high speed setting then the computer works out the infeed settings according to the load on the drum. 

The 5010 is a beast but the 8010 is total other animal 

it will load a 75-80m3 tipper in 15 mins. You need a big stockpile infront of it 

the 8010 will do 320m3 and hour into a shed 

these machine are Austrian designed and made super put together bits of kit 

Edited by David Cardiff
  • Like 2

A company I do a bit with fix and repair 
the Komptech brand of stuff they make two chipper types and three models 
“510” tractor pulled 400hp needed at the pto drive it 
5010 direct. Truck mounted driven by the trucks 480hp engine
8010 truck mounted driven by its own 780hp cat engine
I have seen both truck mounted units in action both handle brash with ease you just change the drum and the blower to the high speed setting then the computer works out the infeed settings according to the load on the drum. 
The 5010 is a beast but the 8010 is total other animal 
it will load a 75-80m3 tipper in 15 mins. You need a big stockpile infront of it 
the 8010 will do 320m3 and hour into a shed 

these machine are Austrian designed and made super put together bits of kit 

[/url]  
That's some serious financial commitment with those machines, guessing prices start at half a million and fairly restricted to hard ground. The largest machine in the video is very impressive though.
We had a heizohack in which I think needed more power , took 2 days to chip what's in the pic , which to be fair the lads didn't want to do with the tr8
IMG_3784.thumb.JPG.e91de567aadf7ce1e9bd46b45865e993.JPG
IMG_3847.thumb.JPG.9707fa3dcccda6387f970f5ff42329ab.JPG
What hp did they have?
Not being critical but it looks a bit of a birds nest to pull apart and chip in the 1st picture, it's often the case with lads who haven’t worked with a crane fed machine before for them to cut stuff up as though for a smaller machine and not leaving things attached together but crippled at big forks. Conifer is horrible in small bits if it's curvy wheras if the side limbs were still on the stem the grab or rolers could crush them in easily.
Good presentation of material is the key to getting the best out of these machines.

1 hour ago, Toxteth O,Grady said:

We had a heizohack in which I think needed more power , took 2 days to chip what's in the pic , which to be fair the lads didn't want to do with the tr8

IMG_3784.JPG

IMG_3847.JPG

What hp tractor was it on? I basically run the same setup but with a t150 with roofmount crane or put it behind my 185hp Massey and feed with an excavator 

Big piles like that can sometimes be a pain to get through with the smaller type crane fed machine, personally I prefer to feed the chipper with a excavator and rotating grab when working with piles like that as it’s easier to pull the pile apart and sort it out a little bit though a lot can be down to the operator

id be happy to come down your way if you have any more chipping jobs like that

• Like 1

It was on a 130hp so my thought were it needed a bit more . As for a birds nest It was pulled apart with a 14 tonner and dropped by the infeed , might seem like double handling but deadlines for felling and all that . 

In hind sight I would have got this one in from the off , filled the first artic in 20 minutes 

IMG_3858.JPG

IMG_3864.JPG

• Like 1