50 cc saw

nemcc

..... and too hot. Saws run hot enough already without recently leaning them off further for environmental reasons.
I’ve recently picked up a good secondhand MS260 and will be looking for a rebuildable and fully adjustable big saw when cash allows. I’m not keen on anything modern that unnecessarily complicates an outdoor tool[emoji3]

Compare a stihl 050,051,056, (90cc) solid engineering, to a 661.
10kilos+ and max 10krpm
or 7 kilos and 13.5krpm.
It may be a bit plasticy but my arms don't stretch and I can cut so much faster.
As for a 50cc 026/ms260, on paper they are almost identical in performance as a 261.
But the 261 still cuts faster.
Just my experience.

3 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Compare a stihl 050,051,056, (90cc) solid engineering, to a 661.
10kilos+ and max 10krpm
or 7 kilos and 13.5krpm.
It may be a bit plasticy but my arms don't stretch and I can cut so much faster.
As for a 50cc 026/ms260, on paper they are almost identical in performance as a 261.
But the 261 still cuts faster.
Just my experience.

Agreed. I'm in the new saws camp. I had a 10 year old 441, and recently replaced with a 661. It feels about the same in weight and in use, but cuts much faster. I use it all the time.

Similarly, I like my 261c-m. Feels like a much nicer saw than the 260s I've used.

• Like 1

As a near sixty year old who doesn’t have to work by the ton nowadays I don’t need something that has the highest spec. However, I can certainly understand the preference for the newer saws but personally prefer the simplicity and reliability over years of use of the marginally lower performing older professional saws. A damn sight easier to rebuild too.[emoji1303]

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

As a near sixty year old who doesn’t have to work by the ton nowadays I don’t need something that has the highest spec. However, I can certainly understand the preference for the newer saws but personally prefer the simplicity and reliability over years of use of the marginally lower performing older professional saws. A damn sight easier to rebuild too.emoji1303.png

When I was asked to help out on the railway I took my old Husky 262 but soon accepted a MS261 for its better power to weight when trudging in hundreds of yards. Now helping out on domestic arb jobs I far prefer to  pick up the Husky 245, I have lost quite a lot of muscle mass in the last 2 years so weight has become important.

For logging I'll stick with the old Husky and the little einhell I was given (for its lightness).