Sign in to follow this  
EdwardC

Imported firewood

32,564 tonnes of firewood was imported into England and Scotland in the first nine months of 2017.

46 inspections were carried out on consignments of firewood and it's packaging. 13 were found not to meet import regulations. That's 28%. If you very loosely extrapolate that to the total firewood imported you arrive at 9,117 tonnes of imported firewood and its packaging that did not meet the required bio-security standards.

Discuss.

Edited by EdwardC
  • Like 3

No need for a discussion. Despite being an island we have absolutely ineffective biosecurity legislation and procedures.

firewood, dunnage, soil with plants, fruit and veg imports... 

All welcome here!

Edited by Gary Prentice
  • Like 1

I import, to my knowledge none of my containers have ever been inspected,  all have bourne the same sealing bolt reference that was put in place when loaded.  I feel that there should be far more rigorous inspections but there is a cost to this that central govt are unwilling to pay.   Any supplier of wood found to be contaminated in whatever way should then be subject to 100% inspection until such time as their products can be declared safe.    Repeated offenders should be refused entry full stop.         

32 thousand tonnes, at 24 tonnes per container = 1250 containers approx,   yet only 46 were inspected,  thats around 4%, not enough.

A

On 30/03/2018 at 05:51, EdwardC said:

32,564 tonnes of firewood was imported into England and Scotland in the first nine months of 2017.

46 inspections were carried out on consignments of firewood and it's packaging. 13 were found not to meet import regulations. That's 28%. If you very loosely extrapolate that to the total firewood imported you arrive at 9,117 tonnes of imported firewood and its packaging that did not meet the required bio-security standards.

Discuss.

I'm guessing this imported firewood is for biomass? It seems rather strange that the the filthiest fuel (marine diesel) is being used to transport something accross oceans supposedly for furthering green credentials.

On 30/03/2018 at 10:24, Gary Prentice said:

No need for a discussion. Despite being an island we have absolutely ineffective biosecurity legislation and procedures.

firewood, dunnage, soil with plants, fruit and veg imports... 

All welcome here!

The UK could learn a few facts from New Zealand who have serious bio-security

4 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

I'm guessing this imported firewood is for biomass? It seems rather strange that the the filthiest fuel (marine diesel) is being used to transport something accross oceans supposedly for furthering green credentials.

The UK could learn a few facts from New Zealand who have serious bio-security

Whilst I understand the argument that marine diesel is not exactly environmentally friendly, unless the ship was carrying just timber, then its not making it any worse than it was already. The container ship system is circulating the globe, transporting millions of containers carrying everything under the sun. Whether is 1 more or one less container on there makes no odds. There is the argument that the more you get on, the less pollution there is per container. There is no way that we are going to go back to "the good old days" of the East India Company and "The Cutty Sark" skimming across the surface of the seas under wind power to bring us a cup of tea...... New Zealand may well be able to inspect every single container that comes into their ports, but they have a population of under 5 million people - that's almost 50% of London alone! If you compare our inspections with, say the massive port hubs of Rotterdam, Antwerp, Hamburg etc  I would think that we would be more comparable.

As a cheerful aside, there's a commercial shipping company out there that goes under sail. On topic, shipping firewood from other countries is utter madness.

• Like 2

As a cheerful aside, there's a commercial shipping company out there that goes under sail. On topic, shipping firewood from other countries is utter madness.
Why?!
We ship every other timber product so why not firewood? We don't have enough hardwood to support the UK market so it's got to come from somewhere.
I also sell a lot of lanscaping timber in the summer months and all the main sawmills are struggling to get timber in to process into landscaping timber. One big supplier in south Wales has 2 big mills and don't have a length of round timber in at the moment. BSW one of the largest timber companies in the UK have also just shut one of its big sawmills because they couldn't get enough timber in to keep it running.
If you think a little island like ours with very little planting over the last 30 years can be self sufficient in timber you are also mad

4 hours ago, ash_smith123 said:

Why?!
We ship every other timber product so why not firewood? We don't have enough hardwood to support the UK market so it's got to come from somewhere.
I also sell a lot of lanscaping timber in the summer months and all the main sawmills are struggling to get timber in to process into landscaping timber. One big supplier in south Wales has 2 big mills and don't have a length of round timber in at the moment. BSW one of the largest timber companies in the UK have also just shut one of its big sawmills because they couldn't get enough timber in to keep it running.
If you think a little island like ours with very little planting over the last 30 years can be self sufficient in timber you are also mad

Firewood has bark, containing all manner of fungi and wee beasties. The opening post pointed out the percentage that wasn’t properly dried to kill pathogens.

Dutch Elm disease entered the UK  due the beetles under the bark of elm timber, remember.  

Lets just screw our tree population so people can have a nice log stove 

Edited by Gary Prentice