Mini digger flails- are they worth it.

Matthew Storrs

22 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

What to watch out for is when towing, the spray from the pick up can go straight into the radiator on the digger when it’s on the trailer, it does on the CAT through the plastic hood, I regularly blast it back out with the compressor.

Ebay - mudflaps - not that I am an expert on flails here, by any means ;) K

Been having good results with our little flail on a e26 but like said you have to keep that radiator clear. Was thinking of making some sort of cover that would go on with press studs or clips to cover the vents when on the trailer
Do fancy changing for a femac 70rev
DSC_0076.jpegDSC_0071.jpegIMG_20190921_182447_022.jpegIMG_20190921_182447_021.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you can set them up to perform on the right machine then for the digger men it’s a no brainer, swipe and hedge cutter in one, with the right flails. Output probably fairly slower than a tractor and hedge cutter, but when you factor in purchase cost vs return the loss in output I think can be made up. Plus tracks are more attractive for this kind of work. As long as you’ve a machine with the right hydraulic capacity.

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, 33bk said:

Sorry to bring this thread back up a

do most of these flails attach straight to the aux hydraulics, 

got a tb125 that I’m thinking of getting a flail fitted to 

Yeah, normally fed from the hammer circuit with return-to-tank line open (where available). A lot also have a case-drain - ideally this feeds back to the hydraulic tank through its own free-flowing line but it can be tee’d into the return line in many cases. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
That’s impressive. What did you do with the arrisings? The site looks very clean afterwards...
Nothing apart from nudging a few bigger bits of elder back into the wood with the blade and running over the ground a few times to smash it up well with the flail.
It actually leaves a far better finish on brambles and crap like this than it will on long grass.