Mini digger flails- are they worth it.

Matthew Storrs

7 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Do any of you think it puts the machine pumps under any particular stress compared with say normal digger operations- ie the oil getting very hot etc?

Yes absolutely, you need to ensure your hydraulic system is in good condition, actually has oil to the correct level, (so many don’t) Keeping the rads clean is a top priority, and ensuing filter changes are done on time or sooner if required.

My Kubota’s would soon darken the hydraulic oil when the Mulching season kicked in.

I know someone who runs a flail on his 3 ton Kubota, I was comparing hydraulic specs with my tak and noticed the Kubota has a much smaller hydraulic tank in comparison, less than half the size. The TB125 tank is bigger than the 6 ton Kubota even. This seems strange but I’m hoping a bigger tank reservoir can only be a good thing in this application (flailing)

That’s pretty impressive for a 3 tonner. Do I recall you have had to tweak your pump somehow to run the flail better.

id be interested to know which model flail that is.
thanks.
Nope, straight off the aux without fiddling! It does run pretty hard to be fair, although it was running for 10hrs a day non stop, you wouldn't know it as it still runs sweet as ever
it's a 1.2m bomford head with a few adaptations for the digger.
  • Like 1

I have been using a Femac mulcher on a TB228 (same as a TB125) for some months now as owner operator and also self drive hire, and have also sold and set several up for customers.

It will eat brambles and grasses like there is nothing there. I do alot of blackthorn and gorse and if you are sensible you can really get through it. Up to about 3" diameter with a few swipes.

I am going to have one produced at the factory for me with swinging hammers rather than the standard hammer design.

Any questions just ask. A new mulcher as in the pics is about £3000+vat ready to go. There are cheaper models with a rear roller but they are more suited to grasses rather than scrub.

20180129_220649.jpg

received_1384903001636092.jpeg

20171114_152104.jpg

Edited by JimE
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

I'm dicking about putting a hydraulic motor on a flail deck I have from a 2-wheel tractor. It's a strong deck and the right size- question is, how fast do I want the rotor to spin? I have 50l/m available- I'll be conservative and say 40l/ min for normal use (?) and then work the motor size out from that and the desired RPM.

Any ideas?