Client company folds

Robbyrasta

8 hours ago, benedmonds said:

Moving forward in the future you can check companies house and see if directors regularly go bankrupt..

There are a number of free sites where you can get info.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04905417

Good advice, probably not feasible to do for every client but if theres alarm bells its certainly worth going to the effort

14 hours ago, benedmonds said:

We took someone to court earlier in the year, who did similar refused to pay and started up another business straight away...  Unfortunately for him my colleague who did the quote had not put the business name on the quote so we pursued him  personally... The court sided with us.. not sure if we have seen any money yet.. It was not a huge amount £500 and must have been within his means to pay as he had the cheek to offer us a hot tub from his new business..

Moving forward in the future you can check companies house and see if directors regularly go bankrupt..

There are a number of free sites where you can get info.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04905417

one day this sort of people will do business with the wrong sort of people and karma will catch up with them

9 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Good advice, probably not feasible to do for every client but if theres alarm bells its certainly worth going to the effort

I don't normally bother with domestic clients, but developers and builders always. Been stung before.

And as others have said, don't get in too deep with a new company. It stands to reason that most big builders and developers have used a tree firm before, so I always wonder why that relationship has soured.

• Like 3

Well another day of trying to workout how to deal with it.

I have (hopefully) managed to get my name on the list of debt to be paid out- just have to wait while the companies assets are liquidated and they work out "how many pennies to the pound" the debtors are going to get. But I have been warned to expect beer money- not full amount owed. Also it will take at least a year- if not longer.....

The silver lining is during my quest to find all the relevant people to contact, I have managed get to provide a few more quotes for more solar parks.

All too common.

It’s often said that many successful multi-millionaire business people were declared bankrupt at an early stage in their career.

I assume they always go back and pay the poor bastards they shafted on their journey to the top?

My mate had a £10.5k cheque bounce yesterday for a big industrial poplar job.

He’s worried.

They should actually be more worried because he won’t be going down any legal route.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

All too common.

It’s often said that many successful multi-millionaire business people were declared bankrupt at an early stage in their career.

I assume they always go back and pay the poor bastards they shafted on their journey to the top?

My mate had a £10.5k cheque bounce yesterday for a big industrial poplar job.

He’s worried.

They should actually be more worried because he won’t be going down any legal route.

Goods to the value of, m'Lud?

• Like 1