best or recommended exterior wood protection

difflock

For 22 year old Cedar window frames ( I believe I was told they were Brazilian Cedar at the time),

I am sanding them back to the bare timber,(very therapeutic, once I get settled)

and, perhaps surprisingly, after 22 years of neglect they are still perfectly sound(so indeed possibly/probably a Cedar?) 

I want to give them the best long term protection, which means I am thinking an oily product to soak in rather than a surface treatment.

I am not particularly worried about the finish.

So is Osmo UV Protection Oil as good as it is cracked up to be,

i.e. is it worth £55.00/2.5litre.

Or is some of the Sadolins or  Ronseal products equally good.

Or Sikkens,

or whatever.

regards

marcus

Hi I have used Sadolin loads and that does what it says on the tin but it does sit on the wood , Osmo is also good , so is danish oil it all depends on what you want it to look like dry cedar will drink the oil but that’s not a bad thing it just means a few coats if it was my own and I didn’t have a customer with their opinion then it would be prob osmo 

Cheers Mark

• Like 1

On 3/26/2018 at 15:57, difflock said:

So is Osmo UV Protection Oil as good as it is cracked up to be,

i.e. is it worth £55.00/2.5litre.

Or is some of the Sadolins or  Ronseal products equally good.

Or Sikkens,

or whatever.

regards

marcus

From that list I would take Sikens every day of the week. It's streets ahead of Sadolin IME. They used to be sold by the same firm with Sikens being the premium option. Colours are less natural with Sikens though. Oils might work but my experience with Osmo is great at advertising and hype but pretty average products but not tried their outside offerings. Upside to an oil is it should be easy to reapply but will need it more often.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

To freshen thissun up,

1 coat applied yesterday, another today,

intuitively I really like/rate this Osmo oil product, and it is easy to apply, or well behaved on the brush.

and if it does what it says on the tin, I will be well pleased.

Also, per the tin, a 5 year storage life, which prob means I will still be using some of the 4 by 2.5l tins I bought in 10 years time.

cheers

marcus

• 11 months later...

A wheen o images;

The 4th image is a window I done a year ago, the 6th image and also the last image is this years(like ongoing) work, ironically(and no credit claimed) the year old faded Osmo finish to the Cedar is an almost perfect match for the "wood effect" aluminium windows in the garden room adjacent. Pure serendipity that was!

Sanding down with 80 grit, which leaves a good key for the oil, and an very acceptable finish, to my untrained eye at least, it might get a finer grit in 2 or 5 years time when I am re-coating with the Osmo product.

Anyway, still really pleased with the ease of use and apparent effigy of the Osmo product.

P.S.

I am aware there a few failed DG units that need replaced!

DSC00281 (800x600).jpg

DSC00282 (800x600).jpg

DSC00283 (800x600).jpg

DSC00284 (800x600).jpg

DSC00285 (800x600).jpg

DSC00286 (800x600).jpg

DSC00287 (800x600).jpg

DSC00288 (800x600).jpg

Edited by difflock

Osmo is the boy Roy.
Lasts a good while, easy to reapply, not many coats required.

Tung oil is amazing, but requires many coats, getting gradually less diluted.

Depends how you value your time. Personally osmo with less coats is a winner for me. Dont know if you bothered with the milky anti mould treatment they do. I did and reckon its worth it.

I did not use the anti-mould product, perhaps I should have but  .  .  .

With my 80 grit finish, and a reasonably liberal 1st and 2nd coat(but without any runs or drips) I got away with the 2 coats, the first, hardly surprisingly sucked/soaked in, and I topped up any particularly "hungry" bits the same day, but the 2nd certainly put a good finish to it.

cheers

mth

Anyway, back to porridge!

Edited by difflock