Twin axle versus tri axle trailers - pros and cons?

Big J

Not wanting to piss in your pool John, if your contracting for others selling fire wood and not cutting timber for yourself on your own land, you have to have a tacho fitted. We were taken to court and fined all our trucks have tacho's fitted. Its no big beal to have them and use them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aatimbers said:

Not wanting to piss in your pool John, if your contracting for others selling fire wood and not cutting timber for yourself on your own land, you have to have a tacho fitted. We were taken to court and fined all our trucks have tacho's fitted. Its no big beal to have them and use them.

I appreciate the imput, but I don't think that I do (pulled from the .gov web page) as this is stated amongst the exemptions:

vehicles used by agricultural, horticultural, forestry, farming or fishery businesses for carrying goods within 100km of where the business is based

Happy to be corrected though. 

Edited by Big J
  • Like 1

You have just answered your own ? Bussiness for carrying goods its plant / Machines for hire reward. Farmers have to have a tacho fitted if they take animals to the mart for sale too....

Lots off people take the chance and get away with it for a while then its a fine for not having right insurance (hire and reward) carrying to mach fuel too the list goes on............... good luck.

2 minutes ago, aatimbers said:

You have just answered your own ? Bussiness for carrying goods its plant / Machines for hire reward. Farmers have to have a tacho fitted if they take animals to the mart for sale too....

Lots off people take the chance and get away with it for a while then its a fine for not having right insurance (hire and reward) carrying to mach fuel too the list goes on............... good luck.

Farmers are exempt from tacho regs when pulling IFW type trailers.  So is forestry, but delivering processed logs to a retail customer then a tacho is needed.  I got pulled off the M6 some years ago on a check,  could have had a big fine but had to fit tacho.

My understanding of it is that the limit for which you need a tachograph if you stray beyond is 100km. I had a run in with Vosa nearly 4 years ago, and during the process of it being referred to the PF, they announced that the radius was being expanded from 50km to 100km. I was not within 50km, but I was within 100km. As such, the prosecution was dropped. 

I have little to no inclination to deliver logs to anyone with my trailer. 99% of the time it would just be me towing my trailer and forwarder.

• 8 months later...
On 25/03/2018 at 22:31, Andrew McEwan said:

I went from a 14ft twin flatbed to a 14ft tri plant trailer for my alpine and kit, much prefer towing the tri plant, even though worse to shunt about, and it's obviously easier to load with various machine combos, but maybe not the best for narrow Devon lanes. If I was buying again I think it'd be between Brenderup and Nugent.

I know this post is from last year and don't mean to start up the whole debate as such.

But I'm in the middle of ordering a Transport Trailer, having narrowed it down to a Brian James Trailer.

The dilemma is as before, Twin or Triple Axle???

It has been suggested that the triple is much more stable when towing heavy weight, it has also been suggested that it is, in fact, easier to manoeuvre with a triple (Not that twin is difficult) which is contrary to some previous comments, it has been noted, however, that triples do tend to scrub tyres much quicker. 

These are the trailers that I've narrowed down to. (FYI - The largest vehicle I'll be carrying is a Range Rover, but mostly Audi,s BMW's and Discovery Sports )

http://www.brianjames.co.uk/range/range_details.aspx?id=&rid=45 - T6 TRANSPORTER - 230-6552 or T4 TRANSPORTER 230-6443

http://www.brianjames.co.uk/pdf/T4T6TRANSUK2019_Q1_2_1.pdf

http://www.brianjames.co.uk/range/range_details.aspx?id=&rid=6  - 180-2000

http://www.brianjames.co.uk/pdf/HMAXUK2019_Q1_1_1_1.pdf

Any thought, opinions and suggestions very welcome.

45 minutes ago, mathewd said:

I know this post is from last year and don't mean to start up the whole debate as such.

But I'm in the middle of ordering a Transport Trailer, having narrowed it down to a Brian James Trailer.

The dilemma is as before, Twin or Triple Axle???

It has been suggested that the triple is much more stable when towing heavy weight, it has also been suggested that it is, in fact, easier to manoeuvre with a triple (Not that twin is difficult) which is contrary to some previous comments, it has been noted, however, that triples do tend to scrub tyres much quicker. 

These are the trailers that I've narrowed down to. (FYI - The largest vehicle I'll be carrying is a Range Rover, but mostly Audi,s BMW's and Discovery Sports )

http://www.brianjames.co.uk/range/range_details.aspx?id=&rid=45 - T6 TRANSPORTER - 230-6552 or T4 TRANSPORTER 230-6443

http://www.brianjames.co.uk/pdf/T4T6TRANSUK2019_Q1_2_1.pdf

http://www.brianjames.co.uk/range/range_details.aspx?id=&rid=6  - 180-2000

http://www.brianjames.co.uk/pdf/HMAXUK2019_Q1_1_1_1.pdf

Any thought, opinions and suggestions very welcome.

Try axle any day 

I've had numerous ifors both twin and tri and the latter is far more stable, load distribution tolerant and for me I find them easier to reverse. Yes they can scrub the tyres and are a pain to manoeuvre by hand but the pros outweigh the cons for me. Came home two days ago fully loaded on 5 tyres ie 1 punctured I could not have done same on 3. 

On 23/05/2018 at 07:19, Big J said:

313CDI 4x4 Sprinter. Had it about 3 weeks now and love it. Had it remapped to about 160bhp with a lot more torque, though I have yet to tow with it. Since I've had it, I've fitted a tow bar (it's never towed), replaced the brake pipes, undersealed it, fitted all terrain tyres and had it remapped. At the weekend it's going in for the fitting of a nudge bar with twin spotlights, reversing camera and rear work lights, snorkel (only thing I cannot justify at all, but my three year old daughter insisted on it) and it's getting the bonnet resprayed (stone chips with early stage corrosion) and a few other minor rust spots fixed. 

It's a really clean van, which was owned by a wind turbine engineer from new. 106k on the clock and it's 2012. 

4x4 sprinter.jpg

What does re mapping do to fuel economy, and will it invalidate the warranty? I appreciate your warranty is expired, but was thinking of doing it to my cabstar