Lewis winch

GazN

What portable winch did you got for? I'm thinking about either getting a portable one or one for the front of my ranger, not sure which to go for, especially as I'm pretty sure the so called discreet winch mount won't be as discrete as it's supposed to be with the intercooler in front of the radiator. 

Thanks

What portable winch did you got for? I'm thinking about either getting a portable one or one for the front of my ranger, not sure which to go for, especially as I'm pretty sure the so called discreet winch mount won't be as discrete as it's supposed to be with the intercooler in front of the radiator. 

Thanks

I was using my pick up and tackle for easy access trees but this little winch can go anywhere

Well dang... I may have bought the wrong winch. I have a more power puller than puts out 6000 lbs with a snatch. I’ve been really happy pulling some decent sized trees over with it, but now that I’m seeing those tirfors I’m having some buyers remorse. That said, the tirfor is about twice the price and I don’t have to fuss with wire rope

3 hours ago, urbanlogger6387 said:

Well dang... I may have bought the wrong winch. I have a more power puller than puts out 6000 lbs with a snatch. I’ve been really happy pulling some decent sized trees over with it, but now that I’m seeing those tirfors I’m having some buyers remorse. That said, the tirfor is about twice the price and I don’t have to fuss with wire rope

I have a 3200kg Tirfor which is not used too much but is very handy when required.  They are a bit heavy and awkward to set up though.  I would like to own an Eder power winch, the biggest one they do is rated to have a straight line pull of 1800kg or 3600kg when traction deflected using a snatch block pulley. I would only consider one that utilises a 2T engine though as some of the 4T engines automatically cut out if they tip to one side and starve the head of engine oil which would do my head in!  Problem is they are over 2k new! 

Bought a "Yale 1.6 ton cable puller"
(Same as a tirfor)
A few months back.
Heavy but seriously powerful. The only draw back is the slowness when dragging a trunk along the ground.
And they're half the price of a tirfor.
Let's see how long it lasts.
If only you could have an option to mount a saw engine on it.
[emoji106]

2 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

If only you could have an option to mount a saw engine on it.

Tirfor had an option to mount a hydraulic;ic cylinder and run off a powerpack, I have never seen one but it should be doable with a £500 honda engined powerpack and a fancy self reciprocating ram set up

• Like 2

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Tirfor had an option to mount a hydraulic;ic cylinder and run off a powerpack, I have never seen one but it should be doable with a £500 honda engined powerpack and a fancy self reciprocating ram set up

I'm fairly certain i saw one of those hydraulic Tirfors for sale in the last few week either on Facebook or Ebay.