Lewis winch

GazN

I have one. Run it on a 372.  Had it about 8 years now. Very reliable. I think I made a few comments in  previous comments. Try doing an arbtalk search. Their fine for pulling trees or piles of branches up hill and for aiding the felling of small trees. Swap the standard wire rope for dyneema rope. This avoids the wire rope kinking. Don't try felling large trees with them. Stick with the tirfor as you have more control.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

if you're not very careful the dyneema rope will splay the drum open

Could you elaborate why you think dyneema would damage the drum. Im a bit lost, or possibly a bit thick!!

The wire rope just did my head in with linking, and I much prefer the dyneema, but I don't want to recommend it or use it if it may damage the drum.

Sure....and it's not 'why I think it would damage the drum', it DOES.  I have seen it first hand.

Basically if it isn't coiled perfectly and tensioned perfectly every time what can happen is when its winding itself in the rope will flatten out, this in turn makes the drum spay out and cease.

I should have got photos when it happened.

But yes, in theory it should be a lot nicer than messing around with wire rope.  And it is, but you need to be aware of the limitations