Fallen Beech Tree

drshadrack

Question

We have a mature beech recently downed to the rear of our garden.  Tree was sited on the bank of a stream and has fallen across the stream and onto council land.  It is not blocking the stream but could possibly cause problems if we have any serious rainfall.  The problem is access the tree has fallen into young woodland and as such the only real means of access would b to apporach via the stream (it is not deep).  

It is our tree as our deeds go to the middle of the stream.

A few tree surgeons have had a look but they have advised that it is too big a job or have said that the costs of removal would be prohibitive. 

What we really need is a tractor or similar to drag it, say 500 yards up the river and onto the bank out of harm's way.

I wonder though whether there are any leftfield solutions that someone might have?

Be careful of dragging the tree about and causing damage to the bank as you might end up with grief from the environment agency. Where I used to live there was a chalk stream running through the property and the EA were hot on what went on on or in the stream.

• Like 1

Thanks.  You cannot really see the girth of the tree from the pic - I estimate 5 -6' diameter.  Also it is being slightly held up by the trees on the bank.  My concern is it will settle further if persons start chopping.

Do you know if EA willl charge me for removal if it does start to block waterway?

I had a large ash come down and was blocking the river, the EA turned up with a 360 and pulled it out. They charged the developer that owned the land BUT there was a lot of history between them.

like Steve said, half a day job and looks pretty straight forward. I don’t know where abouts you are in the country or who you got in to give you quotes but either get someone off here to do it or go on to the arb association web site and contact an approved contractor.