4x4 pickup/van mpg's plus reliability

steve collins

14 hours ago, donnk said:

no they are not.

no you wont.

No such thing as 'automatic speed camera linked to central computers'

You are probably confusing average speed camera's which actually ignore the speed and time you. These are VERY limited and wont effect 99.9999999% of local journeys. Just motorway reps.

So choosing a DUV just to avoid these is somewhat extreme.

There is some evidence that they are linked, some evidence that some commercials are restricted and I have now got a Ranger with a kerb weight of 2200kg so I hope that I am wrong too. 

2 hours ago, PeteB said:

There is some evidence that they are linked, some evidence that some commercials are restricted and I have now got a Ranger with a kerb weight of 2200kg so I hope that I am wrong too. 

Have you weighed it? How much fuel? Were you in the cab and was it carrying a spare wheel or truck top?

In seven years of working with a fleet of 50 vehicles, half of which were non car-derived commercials, none were stopped for exceeding 50 on single carriageways (or 40 as was the rule) or 60 on dual carriageway. By far the most frequent offence was exceeding 50 in roadworks on a motorway.

As I have not heard of anyone found guilty of this offence and you can only find this out if a court report appears in a paper (the police are excused answering questions about speeding offences under FOI requests) my guess is that if you are caught for a higher speeding offence e.g. exceeding 70 on a dual carriageway then you get a more severe penalty than doing the same in a car.

Since following the DPV thread on here I have been taking note of commercial vehicle speeds and can say on single carriageways most small commercial vehicles keep up with the traffic if it's a major road and that's mostly between 50 and just under 60mph.

Edited by openspaceman

Apparently, the DVSA only are bothered with what's on the computer, not how much fuel etc. It is a fairly new phenomenon for databases to be linked and isn't a leap of faith for it to be real. 

I know of a VW buff who had a van and that is restricted but the Camper version of the same vehicle (and same weight) is not. A German colleague is of the same opinion of what is happening in their spot too.

75 miles of bumbling around today, collecting a customer from the airport, going into town, looking at some logs, getting stuck in a bit of traffic and then back to the yard and the airport. 37mpg on the trip computer. It's funny that this is the tallest, heaviest, most powerful work truck (Sprinter 4x4) I've ever had and it also uses the least fuel O.o