4x4 pickup/van mpg's plus reliability

steve collins

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 5/8 the way through my first tank on my 2012 Mercedes Sprinter 4x4. On AT tyres, it's doing in excess of 35mpg (unloaded, and driving fairly sedately). Got 37.5mpg today on a 56 mile return trip. Staggeringly economical for a truck that weighs 2500kg without me in it.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Big J said:

I'm 5/8 the way through my first tank on my 2012 Mercedes Sprinter 4x4. On AT tyres, it's doing in excess of 35mpg (unloaded, and driving fairly sedately). Got 37.5mpg today on a 56 mile return trip. Staggeringly economical for a truck that weighs 2500kg without me in it.

you gonna keep goin on about thet Merc or are ya gonna show us some 'readers wives' type of pics please.  Interested to see the tyres, undersealing and any udder mods you have had done.  Sounds ideal for yer new venture.

On 24/03/2018 at 06:41, PeteB said:

Correct. If a crewcabs weighs more than 2040kgs unladen, it is no longer classed as dual purpose and as such, is restricted to 60 as the national speed limit. Now that the automatic speed cameras are getting linked to the central computers through the ANPR system, you could be 'innocently' doing 70 on a dual carriageway or motorway and get an easy three points and fine!

The 2.2 Unlimited or XLT come under the weight so are okay. Apart from they need a few more ponies!

no they are not.

no you wont.

No such thing as 'automatic speed camera linked to central computers'

You are probably confusing average speed camera's which actually ignore the speed and time you. These are VERY limited and wont effect 99.9999999% of local journeys. Just motorway reps.

So choosing a DUV just to avoid these is somewhat extreme.

7 hours ago, wicklamulla said:

you gonna keep goin on about thet Merc or are ya gonna show us some 'readers wives' type of pics please.  Interested to see the tyres, undersealing and any udder mods you have had done.  Sounds ideal for yer new venture.

Haha! I've been hanging back taking photos until it's finished, but I shall take some today when up at the sawmill.

At this stage, it's just been undersealed, had AT tyres fitted, towbar fitted and remapped. It's still to get additional lights fitted front and back, bonnet resprayed (stone chips that are starting to corrode), nudge bar, snorkel (at my 3 year old daughter's request) and a reversing camera (so handy for long reverses, and hitching up the trailer).

• Like 1

That’s what the tune-up wizard said - it’s the same engine but ‘governed’ into different model spec’s to fit into tax brackets. He just unleashes that which has been previously suppressed. He Changes the engine performance (wether for economy or acceleration/ top end) but the vehicle retains original tax bracket.  £300 for a re-map. 

With the new MOT regs coming in next week you’d possibly be better with a tuning box (that’s removable for the mot) . De-catting and egr removal is supposedly going to be an auto fail