Environmentally friendly packaging - good idea or just looks bad.

Rob D

Environmentally friendly packaging or professional looking plastic?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do we pack out Panther mills out with wood shavings (dry) or bubblewrap?

• Wood shavings
    • Bubble wrap

Personally, I like the shavings idea though Lord knows I have enough of them already to dispose of. That said I think your customers will find it a PITA. I find that as much as my punters want everything to be sustainable they still want their life to be easy more.

If your main objective is to stop the mill moving about in the box, how about packing paper i.e. the thick brown type that bulks up. At least it is recyclable and is probably mainly recycled.

You can recycle wood shavings in your green bin, on your compost heap, or lose it in the garden somewhere, no less recyclable than brown paper

Personally, I like the shavings idea though Lord knows I have enough of them already to dispose of. That said I think your customers will find it a PITA. I find that as much as my punters want everything to be sustainable they still want their life to be easy more.

If your main objective is to stop the mill moving about in the box, how about packing paper i.e. the thick brown type that bulks up. At least it is recyclable and is probably mainly recycled.

You can recycle wood shavings in your green bin, on your compost heap, or lose it in the garden somewhere, no less recyclable than brown paper

Brown paper could be a way to go although you'd need a lot to make sure the mill didn't roll around too much.

But got to be better than plastic.

Hard to give customers the choice Josh as we'd then have to have a tick box specially put on checkout... but it's possible...

2 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Could you use small bags filled with wood chip? Need a bit of plastic for the bags but the wood chip would offer the bulking and protection without being able to escape.

Good idea - would be nice if the bags were not plastic - will look into options...

• 1 month later...

Definitely wood shavings, if you have them from a neighbour then it is a waste to burn them.

Here in Slovakia I would say its considered a luxury packing filler, most of the high end dog food & toys sellers use long curled up narrow wood shavings, like those you make if you rip cut with a cross-cut chain :D

Edit: and shavings like that don't make a mess, nobody from the vendors I have bought from puts on a warning about opening the packages outside.

Edited by Mat K