Sauno wood kiln – any good?

Badgerland

I'm thinking of investing in one so I can kiln dry my own timber. Anybody got one of these? If so what are your thoughts on them? Any feedback, tips etc would be gratefully received. (If anybody's got one for sale I might be interested in a second hand one!)

I think I'd have to make a custom cabinet rather than the pre-cut ones that Logosol supply as I'd want to put 11 foot lengths of sweet chestnut in them for the gates I make.

I have heard that it's best not to put green oak in them as it will corrode the workings. It's better to air dry it for 6 months then put it in. I assume the same for chestnut?

I've just taken out my sixth load. Fab bit of kit. I've got the 2 KW  version built my own cabinet 8x4x4.

Still a lot to learn on drying different timbers. First couple of loads were Dawn Redwood that dried in about two weeks. 7 ft long up to 24'' w x 50mm t. Just taken my first load of Oak out that i dried on a very low heat for 33 days. Had boards up to 6ft long x 35''w x 50mm t and some 3x3 posts and a couple  burrs. I do air dry Oak and Sweet Chestnut for six months. Not put any SC in yet as not been air dried long. I did have a few leaks from the door that i think I've finally sorted with door rubber used on cars. Still get some movement and splitting but hopefully that will only improve over time with the heat settings. Been keeping a log book on each drying to look back on. 

kiln dried timber.jpg

kiln.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 54gka said:

I've just taken out my sixth load. Fab bit of kit. I've got the 2 KW  version built my own cabinet 8x4x4.

Still a lot to learn on drying different timbers. First couple of loads were Dawn Redwood that dried in about two weeks. 7 ft long up to 24'' w x 50mm t. Just taken my first load of Oak out that i dried on a very low heat for 33 days. Had boards up to 6ft long x 35''w x 50mm t and some 3x3 posts and a couple  burrs. I do air dry Oak and Sweet Chestnut for six months. Not put any SC in yet as not been air dried long. I did have a few leaks from the door that i think I've finally sorted with door rubber used on cars. Still get some movement and splitting but hopefully that will only improve over time with the heat settings. Been keeping a log book on each drying to look back on. 

kiln dried timber.jpg

kiln.jpg

Thanks 54gka. That all sounds very promising.

What sort of moisture content are you drying that down to and what meter do you use to measure it?

I assume that you're just put the water in the bottom of the cabinet for the steaming process then? The one I saw up at Logosol recently had a shallow galvanised tray for holding the water.

Out of pure bloody nosiness what are your plans for the dried timber?

Yeah fill the bottom with water. They say you don't need to with green timber but i still do. Aim for around 8% mc. I try and sell as much of it as i can hence why i have this setup as don't have much storage space so now with most wood i can mill it put it straight in the kiln the same day and get it sold within a few weeks. Got a cheap temp gauge that sticks through the foam and use the Stihl  mc reader. You get i rough idea when close to dry when you can't see much steam coming out from the vents. I did have problems with the plastic  air vents sticking so replaced them with stainless ones.

19 hours ago, 54gka said:

Yeah fill the bottom with water. They say you don't need to with green timber but i still do. Aim for around 8% mc. I try and sell as much of it as i can hence why i have this setup as don't have much storage space so now with most wood i can mill it put it straight in the kiln the same day and get it sold within a few weeks. Got a cheap temp gauge that sticks through the foam and use the Stihl  mc reader. You get i rough idea when close to dry when you can't see much steam coming out from the vents. I did have problems with the plastic  air vents sticking so replaced them with stainless ones.

Thanks 54gka. Think I'm going to have to start clearing a space at the back of the workshop!

• 4 weeks later...