Log Load Prices??

defender tipper

To answer the questions no I am not VAT registered - my business is not big so is under the threshold to register.

And I am quite fussy about species, and logs are well kilned so I do pick up a lot of customers who have had bad experiences with logs not really as dry as they want.

And I bag it up differently from most people so customers come to me and go away with anything from 1 to 10 small bags.  There is some effort and time in bagging, but it makes it a really easy product for customers to collect.  Even a Smart car can fit two bags, and a medium hatchback with rear seats down can fit about 8.  The point is the customer can buy as much or as little as they want, when they want.

There are just over twelve bags in an IBC cage in case you are wondering.

2 hours ago, Squaredy said:

To answer the questions no I am not VAT registered - my business is not big so is under the threshold to register.

And I am quite fussy about species, and logs are well kilned so I do pick up a lot of customers who have had bad experiences with logs not really as dry as they want.

And I bag it up differently from most people so customers come to me and go away with anything from 1 to 10 small bags.  There is some effort and time in bagging, but it makes it a really easy product for customers to collect.  Even a Smart car can fit two bags, and a medium hatchback with rear seats down can fit about 8.  The point is the customer can buy as much or as little as they want, when they want.

There are just over twelve bags in an IBC cage in case you are wondering.

Sounds very interesting. Any pictures of packaging?

6 hours ago, HertsWood said:

I deliver in 2 volume sizes: 1.2m3 & 2.4m3 loose tipped, all hardwood sourced from local woodlands - no tree surgery waste. I’m Grown in Britain Assured & HETAS WoodSure / Ready to Burn Accredited. Currently charge £125 / £245, based in Hertfordshire.
I don’t overcharge but we produce a quality product which people want.
We also use the same seasoned timber to make British Charcoal.

Thanks for sharing that very interesting.

11 hours ago, HertsWood said:

I deliver in 2 volume sizes: 1.2m3 & 2.4m3 loose tipped, all hardwood sourced from local woodlands - no tree surgery waste. I’m Grown in Britain Assured & HETAS WoodSure / Ready to Burn Accredited. Currently charge £125 / £245, based in Hertfordshire.
I don’t overcharge but we produce a quality product which people want.
We also use the same seasoned timber to make British Charcoal.

Good prices!! but can i ask why some firewood merchants bang on about not tree surgeon waste? i do both tree surgery and woodland management and some of my best wood comes from tree surgery, and its free, and i'm getting paid to get rid of it, win win aha

• Like 2

Morning Martin,

I’m not a tree surgeon, neither am I knocking Arb waste but under my Grown in Britain accreditation at least 90% of my timber has to be sourced from managed woodlands.

Likewise, the woodland management we do for clients is based on timber contracts where we take the timber as payment. I’m working a woodland at the moment where in yr1 we felled 70 tonnes of Alder & 300 tonnes of Sycamore/Ash, the Alder was sold for more than the sycamore & ash, covered the cost of works carried out and left me with 200 tonnes to process into firewood.

I commend all of you that can get that kind of price for your firewood, but having burnt 33 cubic metres so far this winter in our 20kw stove, I am rather glad that it costs me next to nothing. 

I understand that people's reasons for having a stove vary greatly, but I always think it's important to remember that no matter how pretty the logs are, how uniform they are, how consistently premium ash and beech, that all you are going to do with it is burn it. 

One of my best customers buys his firewood a year in advance. 40 cube of 2/3 softwood, 1/3 arbwaste hardwood. He has a large stove so all logs processed chunky and 16 inches long. He pays £43 a cubic metre as all I have to do is fill the crates (which takes about 10 minutes per cube on average, including the slower processing of the hardwood) and he collects them whenever he needs them. If only all my customers were like that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Ooooohhhhh that is a lot of firewood you burn.  Maybe you should try some of my top quality kiln dried firewood when you move down this way.... ;) 

No thanks! Kiln dried is fine if you have no storage and or don't wish to store any at home. I'm in the 'fairly well organised, have 50 cube stacked at home' camp so I've no need to premium logs. I burn any old rubbish!

• Like 1

On 3/18/2018 at 13:15, defender tipper said:

Hi All, 

Just wondering what prices one should be achiving for load size 1.2sm of good quality clean Dry barn logs? (loose Tipper Load Hardwood)

I have just bought out a retireing Gents firewood round kit and all,but he has been charging a bit more than us,need to settle for a one price for all, and be fair.

Thanks in advance.

if he has been charging more than you ( and selling it )  then you appear to have been under priced !!