Panther chainsaw milling - post your feedback and pics here :)

Rob D

Good evening Rob, use it as you like - it's a great product. I've posted another couple of videos since that, a nice Beech and a very nice Cedar. The Hyperskip really is a big help and as you say it allows you to control whats going on not like a "normal" chain !  The only niggle I have to sort out is the problem of using a front tension system i.e. 090 or my 2101 XP but I think I may have a cunning plan ! Bear in mind I've been playing with the 576 XPs with 8 pin rims which the Hyperskip allows. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, outinthewood said:

Good evening Rob, use it as you like - it's a great product. I've posted another couple of videos since that, a nice Beech and a very nice Cedar. The Hyperskip really is a big help and as you say it allows you to control whats going on not like a "normal" chain !  The only niggle I have to sort out is the problem of using a front tension system i.e. 090 or my 2101 XP but I think I may have a cunning plan ! Bear in mind I've been playing with the 576 XPs with 8 pin rims which the Hyperskip allows. 

Could you drill an access hole in the skid to come into the tensioner that way on those older saws?

Also having trouble tracking your address can you PM it over to me? Thanks for letting us use the vids and keep any feedback good or bad coming please.

Morning Rob, just having a break and saw your post. It was the first thought - drilling through the plate - but the problem is the 2" dia mounting on the bottom of the post. It's a great mount and we don't want to hack it to bits and have to do away with the magnet. You only really need one PH to move so I have a little plan which I'll have a stab at this weekend. Feel free to move the other couple of videos I posted on my youtube -outintewood- here if you like Rob.

2 hours ago, outinthewood said:

Morning Rob, just having a break and saw your post. It was the first thought - drilling through the plate - but the problem is the 2" dia mounting on the bottom of the post. It's a great mount and we don't want to hack it to bits and have to do away with the magnet. You only really need one PH to move so I have a little plan which I'll have a stab at this weekend. Feel free to move the other couple of videos I posted on my youtube -outintewood- here if you like Rob.

Thanks and when you get a chance PM your address or text it to me 07811611457

Hello everyone! I purchased a Panther mill 42" from Rob recently and a new MS 661 C-M from my local Stihl dealer and ever since I have been enjoying the pleasures of milling my own lumber, which I find around me mostly urban clear cuts.

I can say I loved the mill ever since I saw it (mainly the innovation of the geared quick cut height adjustment) and when I tried it for the first time I was astounded by the smooth finish the GB Lo Pro bar together with the Stihl Lo Pro 3/8 PMX chain leaves with this mill. With the first cut system its like band saw cut quality.

I would like to propose another good little innovation, a removable (to clamp to the height adjustment rod above the thrust skid) complimentary thrust skid (just the bent part that touches the wood), for the cases when the top of the log being cut is wider then the part where the bar is cutting, so the mill rides - contacts the wood with the height adjustment rod (which is a really small area of contact and many times the edge of the wood is sharp so the wood is being damaged) and not the thrust skid. This would be a good improvement I am sure. I volunteer as a test subject :D

Some photos of my first log milled, most probably poplar.

I will be posting my milling to my new instagram @chainsawmill.sk so if you want you can follow me there I will follow you back :)

P.S.: I know it's a shame I wasted the big crotch boards possibility but I don't have the means to transfer a log so long and this was before I had the mill delivered also cut with my old tiny MS 170 saw :D It was a recent clear cut and the logs were to be picked up for grinding it to wood chips :mad1: so I had to hurry.

IMG_20180329_162814.jpg

IMG_20180402_090518.jpg

IMG_20180412_130547.jpg

IMG_20180412_134245.jpg

IMG_20180412_142737.jpg

Edited by Mat K
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi Mat - apologies I never thanked you for the feedback you provided. So thanks!

If we make some of those skids you can have a couple.

Have you milled anything else recently? Those pics are good!

• 1 month later...
On 30/06/2018 at 11:04, Rob D said:

Hi Mat - apologies I never thanked you for the feedback you provided. So thanks!

If we make some of those skids you can have a couple.

Have you milled anything else recently? Those pics are good!

Oh thanks! No worries. Didn't mill much this month last thing I milled was the big cherry I posted on instagram :D

• 1 month later...