Split Dilemma

Billhook

7 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Yes it is slow and low down, powerful though.  Can you fit a mid hight table? Cut the rings onto a trailer and slide them off onto the  table so no lifting

I did cut the rings into the teleporter bucket and slid them sideways onto the table with a bit of tilt, but even the one shown needed two of us to manoeuvre it into position as it was so heavy.  I would not be wanting to do that all day long!

With your mid height table you have still a lot of bending to pick up the split pieces unless you have a very large table.

I also think that the ram on this splitter was so strong that the table needed to be on the floor to stop it bending with the strain of a difficult log.

1 hour ago, Billhook said:

I did cut the rings into the teleporter bucket and slid them sideways onto the table with a bit of tilt, but even the one shown needed two of us to manoeuvre it into position as it was so heavy.  I would not be wanting to do that all day long!

With your mid height table you have still a lot of bending to pick up the split pieces unless you have a very large table.

I also think that the ram on this splitter was so strong that the table needed to be on the floor to stop it bending with the strain of a difficult log.

Yes a large mid hight table is a boon. I made a much bigger one for  mine for just that reason but you can also use the trailer/teleporter bucket to hold the resplits

Edited by Woodworks

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 06:42, Billhook said:

Don't know if you have a log pick, but useful for slewing and dragging big lumps into position on your own (especially pieces closer to ground level as in your instance).

Edited by rowan lee
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rowan lee said:

Don't know if you have a log pick, but useful for slewing and dragging big lumps into position on your own (especially pieces closer to ground level as in your instance).

I think I have nearly every weapon at my disposal!

I have two Stihl log picks and I use the small one for picking split pieces out of the one ton box to take to the stove, for that it is excellent.  The larger pick with the long handle  I have hardly used and you are right and I probably should have tried it on this occasion.

One implement I use a lot is the Woodchuck peavey which is not only good for rolling large logs but also for standing them up off the ground for chainsawing rings.

However there are three things that I wish to build out of interest, if I can find the time.

First the log splitter mounted on the Matbro back plate like the skid steer one on the previous page.  I already have the length of H section with a couple of sharpened dozer blades welded and a large JCB ram

Secondly I need to have another go with the cone splitter and a different hydraulic motor

Thirdly for the hell of it I want to drop another dozer blade vertically in some box section that has been well concreted in the ground, put a large diameter 30 foot long log up to the blade  perhaps a couple of guides to keep the log straight.  Next attack from the rear with Daisy Etta, 17 tons of Caterpillar D7 C 17A Dozer.

Somethings gotta give, I'm not sure quite what at the moment!

• Like 2

I use a Posch 20 ton vertical splitter for such stuff.    Cut it into 800/900mm lengths,  split with Posch,  stack outside on bearers to dry for the winter.   Next spring cut into logs using your processor for sale the following winter.  It handles most stuff with a 4 way head attached but its only a couple of seconds to convert back to a 2 way.   Its NEVER failed to go through anything I have put under it.

A

Edited by Alycidon

55 minutes ago, rowan lee said:

Haha, option 3, interesting idea, an infinately variable length splitting chamber. Wonder what the pushing power is though on good tracking ground?

The great advantage of this if it works is that I could position the log and the two halves to be split into quarters with the Matbro and then take these quarters to the log deck and Palax.  No human lifting!

i am not sure how ram hydraulic tonnage equates with bulldozer tonnage.  All I know is that a New Holland TF46 combine had dropped a front wheel into a spring hole one harvest.  The land around the spring was bone dry.

The contractor had two 150 hp Masseys four wheel drive on two chains trying to pull him out backwards

All eight wheels of the tractors were spinning plus the two combine wheels and there was no progress.

The contractor asked if Daisy Etta could help.  I said that there was only one way to find out

Received quite a bit of good humoured verbal abuse from the tractor drivers.  "If three hundred horsepower and eight wheels cannot do it you are wasting your time with that old heap of scrap" etc etc

Put the chain on, engaged first gear slowly pulled back the clutch lever.  There was a low growl from the 14litre Cat engine and not a hint of track slipping and the combine popped out like a champagne cork!

One of the tractor drivers nearly lost his pipe as his mouth opened with astonishment.

A mountain of torque at very low revs.  Max revs on the engine is about 800.

Edited by Billhook
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, IRE David H said:

Brilliant!   I have a 360 and could easily do this.   I was thinking of using the Matbro teleporter to do the same by retracting the ram but it is not strong enough.

Was this a home made device or are they commercially available?

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 23:11, Billhook said:

The great advantage of this if it works is that I could position the log and the two halves to be split into quarters with the Matbro and then take these quarters to the log deck and Palax.  No human lifting!

i am not sure how ram hydraulic tonnage equates with bulldozer tonnage.  All I know is that a New Holland TF46 combine had dropped a front wheel into a spring hole one harvest.  The land around the spring was bone dry.

The contractor had two 150 hp Masseys four wheel drive on two chains trying to pull him out backwards

All eight wheels of the tractors were spinning plus the two combine wheels and there was no progress.

The contractor asked if Daisy Etta could help.  I said that there was only one way to find out

Received quite a bit of good humoured verbal abuse from the tractor drivers.  "If three hundred horsepower and eight wheels cannot do it you are wasting your time with that old heap of scrap" etc etc

Put the chain on, engaged first gear slowly pulled back the clutch lever.  There was a low growl from the 14litre Cat engine and not a hint of track slipping and the combine popped out like a champagne cork!

One of the tractor drivers nearly lost his pipe as his mouth opened with astonishment.

A mountain of torque at very low revs.  Max revs on the engine is about 800.

that's down to grip though, not necessarily HP. its always funny to watch when a digger pulls out something that a tractor cant!