Split Dilemma

Billhook

I have quite a large heap of two foot plus diameter logs, many 10-15 feet long  Ash Beech and Sycamore, too big and heavy for the 10 inch capacity Palax.

I have been trying out a very strong vertical  tractor hydraulic driven splitter with a four way wedge. It has dealt with some really awkward knotty pieces with ease. This means quite a bit of chainsawing large rounds  into the Teleporter bucket to take a load to the splitter and then tip the split pieces into a  2 cubic metre box.  The ram is slow on the splitter

An alternative is to grab a couple of logs with the Teleporter, maybe four if they fit within the 20 foot length of the Lucas Mill.  Faff about lining them up.  Cutting into 8x8 inch length and then putting them through the Palax to cut and split them and load into the same box.  This would produce the most consistent sized firewood.

I will time how long it takes to fill each box,     which one do you think will be the winner?

My Split Dilemma seems to have already split into two topics all on its own!

I will put a new chain on the Stihl 340 to give you a chance.

A lot depends on how much time it takes to change logs on the Lucas

If I had one big twenty foot long five foot diameter log on the Lucas it would win hands down.

On 18/03/2018 at 10:23, FJMatt said:

My bets on the first option :D

Well I tried the first option and it took over two hours to fill a box

1.  Cut the logs into rounds, new chain on the Stihl 340

2.  Heave the weighty rounds into the teleporter bucket ( aargh! My back!)

3.  Heave weighty rounds onto splitter platform. ( aaarrrgh! My back again)

4 Operate strong but slow splitter ram, bend down pick up pieces, put them on table again for second split,  pick up all the pieces and chuck into teleporter bucket. ( now need painkiller)

5 tipbucket into box, two loads)

the the pieces of wood are all different sizes due to the knotty nature of the wood.  Fine for my Aarrow Stratford but generally unsaleable to the general public.

Now looking forward to doing the remainder with the Lucas Mill and hopefully no lifting involved!

IMG_1519.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_1521.JPG

Can the Pallax take larger rings than it can cut? With stuff like that I often bring the lengths over  to processor ring them while it's suspended and put the rings though the splitter on our processor. May even be worth noodling the rings in half to get them through the processor splitter if your stand alone splitter is that slow.

Messing around with the Lucas sounds slow. 

Edited by Woodworks

9 hours ago, Billhook said:

Well I tried the first option and it took over two hours to fill a box

1.  Cut the logs into rounds, new chain on the Stihl 340

2.  Heave the weighty rounds into the teleporter bucket ( aargh! My back!)

3.  Heave weighty rounds onto splitter platform. ( aaarrrgh! My back again)

4 Operate strong but slow splitter ram, bend down pick up pieces, put them on table again for second split,  pick up all the pieces and chuck into teleporter bucket. ( now need painkiller)

5 tipbucket into box, two loads)

the the pieces of wood are all different sizes due to the knotty nature of the wood.  Fine for my Aarrow Stratford but generally unsaleable to the general public.

Now looking forward to doing the remainder with the Lucas Mill and hopefully no lifting involved!

IMG_1519.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_1521.JPG

Oooooohh 2hrs 

And look at the feeling of well being

(that might be the pain killers) :D

Looking forward to option two ? 

On 21/03/2018 at 12:35, Woodworks said:

Can the Pallax take larger rings than it can cut? With stuff like that I often bring the lengths over  to processor ring them while it's suspended and put the rings though the splitter on our processor. May even be worth noodling the rings in half to get them through the processor splitter if your stand alone splitter is that slow.

Messing around with the Lucas sounds slow. 

There will be messing around but if I can drop four 2 foot diameter logs twenty feet long with the teleporter and then load the 8x8 inch lengths again onto the teleporter to take to the Palax at least there will be no lifting on my part and I am betting it will be quicker.   Yes the splitter is slow but some pieces are very knotty and even with that ex army ram powered by the Fastrac hydraulics, I can see the table bend with the strain.

The Lucas would go through them like a knife through butter

My Palax will only deal with 12 inch through the splitter and 10 inch through the circular saw.  Again quite honestly I would not want to be loading 20 inch diameter logs into a processor hopper all day as they are bloody heavy.