13ton excavator with mulcher

Elmsdown Forestry

14 hours ago, Elmsdown Forestry said:

Evening all,

Rhodi bashing with 13ton 360 with mulcher what sort of area should it tackle on an average day. Some dence areas amongst birch regen and some bank work with minimal coverage hence the average. 

Thanks

Nick 

Should still get through an acre or two a day even if its dense but well worth having a cutter with a tracked chipper working alongside the machine . If possible you are better off fitting a power rake to the 360 and rowing out the Rhody , then back a tractor/mulcher over it.  One day on the tractor will mulch everything a 360 can row out in week. The big advantage is tearing out a lot of roots which in turn needs less spraying off later.

Bob

Couple of acres a day easily, it's all terrain dependent and the need to minimise any impact to surrounding trees can have a major effect on production.

Raking it out onto tracks, rides etc for a Tractor and Mulcher can be very successful, but generally if you need the excavator, then the Tractor isn't going very far on that type of ground.

I had an 800 series Fendt attempt to drive around my Kubota off the access road and he was simply stunned, as it went completely out of sight, the Kubota track marks were there not even an inch deep!

Always use a Walking leg setup with teeth, it makes it so much easier to remove material from around trees without damage and, then turn over the big roots to smash the back out of them and see them gone.

So many images I see of what is supposed to be Mulched Rhodie, and it's been done with a light duty swinging hammer head, or rotary chain head. Looks great, but they've really just mowed it, and will have much more follow up than a proper mulched job.

Eddie.

fullsizeoutput_cb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2a9.jpeg

Edited by LGP Eddie
  • Like 1

How come you get all the cushy Rhody jobs Eddie ? That one looks more like a gardening job, its no wonder your machines are always immaculate. Can we swap clients ? :)

I dont know what sort of site the OP is working on but all the ones we get are where the Rhody is the height of a house with stems the size of tree trunks and entwined in other windblown trees/uprooted stumps on terrain crisscrossed with ditches. We normally mulch/open a path through in several places with the tractor, let the 360 with rake get in there to rake/row/smash down as much as possible, back the tractor mulcher over everything possible and then fit the 360 mulching head on to finish up working along side a cutter with tracked chipper. It works well for us on the sort of work we get, the 360 mulcher would be way to slow on the larger diameter Rhody.

IMG_0067.thumb.JPG.b761f47c93bd8f2b95d0d9997f185b36.JPGIMG_0064.thumb.JPG.1775c32e04efcecbe301961eabba6ebe.JPGIMG_0047.thumb.JPG.1630906e42178078d57b7340d2c1a2d1.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

How come you get all the cushy Rhody jobs Eddie ? That one looks more like a gardening job, its no wonder your machines are always immaculate. Can we swap clients ? [emoji4]

I dont know what sort of site the OP is working on but all the ones we get are where the Rhody is the height of a house with stems the size of tree trunks and entwined in other windblown trees/uprooted stumps on terrain crisscrossed with ditches. We normally mulch/open a path through in several places with the tractor, let the 360 with rake get in there to rake/row/smash down as much as possible, back the tractor mulcher over everything possible and then fit the 360 mulching head on to finish up working along side a cutter with tracked chipper. It works well for us on the sort of work we get, the 360 mulcher would be way to slow on the larger diameter Rhody.

IMG_0067.thumb.JPG.b761f47c93bd8f2b95d0d9997f185b36.JPGIMG_0064.thumb.JPG.1775c32e04efcecbe301961eabba6ebe.JPGIMG_0047.thumb.JPG.1630906e42178078d57b7340d2c1a2d1.JPG
IMG_0070.thumb.JPG.02cf2b47ce23f7d7a0eaccf3c7099d00.JPG
IMG_0314.thumb.JPG.954097aa7e7169f0f0c553d6d4e8ad21.JPG

IMG_2841.jpg what have you done to my car?? [emoji33][emoji33]
  • Like 1

Hi Nick, contact Will Clarke at Direct Enviro Services, he can give you a good idea of coverage/timescale with a machine/ mulching head etc

07823 774096 I trained him and some of his guys.

I saw one of Aspen Bobs jobs over at Westerham a while back, really impressed with the rate of rhododendron clearance and the finished result they managed to achieve.