My first go at turning

gobbypunk

Faceplates are good for about 3x the diameter.

Length is a bit harder to judge.  Use the biggest screws you can (making sure you aren't going to cut in to them), and use the tailstock - these will let you work something quite long, especially if it isn't also quite wide (or wet/imbalanced).  I think the headstock spindle thickness is more of a determiner than the diameter of the faceplate, because long pieces will put more of a lever on the bearings.  

If you have a nice piece of wood for a vase, tbh I think i'd save it till you're a bit more confidence in getting consistent wall thicknesses.  Do some shallower bowls and you'll get the feel for what your lathe can cope with and build up your technique.

What kind of lathe is it?

Btw, I'm not very experienced at all, so maybe wait for other replies... 

Hi my lathe is a kinzo not sure if it’s a good make prob not , how do I know what chuck will fit on it I had a look on eBay and just wasn’t sure some were like £20 and some were quite a bit more , mine has a face plate with it , that can be used for bowls can’t it , sorry for the basic questions but it’s all new to me , but very enjoyable I would love to be able to make very big vases like 3/4 ft eventually 

Thanks Guys   Mark

8 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi my lathe is a kinzo not sure if it’s a good make prob not , how do I know what chuck will fit on it I had a look on eBay and just wasn’t sure some were like £20 and some were quite a bit more , mine has a face plate with it , that can be used for bowls can’t it , sorry for the basic questions but it’s all new to me , but very enjoyable I would love to be able to make very big vases like 3/4 ft eventually 

Thanks Guys   Mark

measure your spindle.  I think the kinzos are the generic far eastern ones? like Clarke.  almost certainly a 3/4" x 16tpi.

yes, faceplate can do bowls (it's what it's for).

best chuck to go for is a scroll chuck.  I think the rp2000 is probably ideal - it's small but nicely made and can get new for about £50 on ebay (i'll try and find the guy who sold me one, he had loads) - comes with one set of jaws and a screw chuck.

one of the older chucks will do but they're not much cheaper, even when used, though they do tend to give you more options.  you have to be much more precise with your spigots/recesses, though.

for the huge vases, you'll need a much bigger lathe.  i'd like to make them eventually, too!