My first go at turning

gobbypunk

1 hour ago, gobbypunk said:

Thanks Steve will defo keep an eye on that , how do I work out if my lathe is 3/4 16 tpi what is tpi surly it’s not teeth per inch sorry I don’t know hardly anything about lathes

Thanks  Mark

yes, threads per inch

mine is 3/4" wide with 16 tpi (aka 3/4" UNF)

another common one is 1"  8tpi (aka 1" UNC)

most modern lathes are 33mm with 3.5mm between threads (aka M33 coarse)

there are some others, but those are the most common nowadays

edit...

3/4" is slightly smaller than a penny, 1" is about a 2p piece

count no. complete threads across 1 inch to give tpi

measure, don't estimate!

post what you get here if it doesn't look like one I've suggested

Edited by onetruth

I wouldn't rely on that webpage for the stats - some machines will look almost identical but have slightly different configurations for different markets.  It appears to be a 1" x 8 tpi.  It looks exactly the same as the Clarke lathes - you can find the manuals for them online.  They're not great, so don't spend loads on accessories as there's a chance they wont fit your next lathe.  You probably wont be able to turn anywhere near capacity as the frames are just too flimsy to cope with much mass.  No morse taper either, which is a shame. 

Ha funny you say that , it was all in some foreign language, but thanks for bothering to find it for me , I will just keep at it with the face plate and see how I go but will defo be on the lookout for some hollowing out tools , Thanks for all your help 

Cheers Mark

Welcome to the dark art of turning Mark. That's a great first attempt with nice flowing shapes, don't get too bogged down with all the add ons as if you get the bug you will most defo get a better or bigger lathe. There is loads you can do between centers and with a simple face plate, try to set yourself a target ie I want to turn a xyz rather than just playing, also do things you can keep, mushrooms for the garden / boarder, dibber for the garden, scoops and a million other useful stuff. It will keep you focused and give you something to look back on as your skills improve. Very well done matey.

Stuart

3 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

Thanks Stuart not sure about turning mushrooms , but I get the point  getting 2 things the same like table legs is one thing I would like to do , I am sure with practice I will get there .

Thanks Mark

For a table, I'd do at least three!

Mushrooms are great for practicing, they need no preparation just a small bit of branch will do, and you get lovely ribbons coming off if it's fresh.  It's really satisfying seeing the transition between layers of bark appear as you bring it towards round.  

• Haha 1

A simple template with sizes and lengths marked on will help repeat items, you don't even need calipers to get the diameter right, find a spanner of the required diameter (open ended) and use that. Most things are achievable, half the effort in turning can be working out how to hold the item, reverse it, copy it and reproduce it, all part of the dark art. lol, just enjoy it.

How you getting on with sharpening, that makes a huge difference on the results?