Tree problem

Clive Henderson

Doesn't look good. The holes look like woodworm to me but I am no expert. How far does the rot extend into the centre of the tree? Use a long screwdriver to check. What tree is it? What targets are there? All the best. Jan.

I believe the rule is that if the good wood left is >1/3 of the radius then the tree may be sound. Tricky to know how much sound wood there is of course. It looks like there are pavements etc nearby, is there a road too? Basically if the tree fails what/who would it hit? Jan.

10 hours ago, Clive Henderson said:

Thank you JFC,,it’s an Ash tree and the rot is all the way in to the middle....I agree the holes are wood worm and there’s a street light in it’s path.....

Are you sure that it's an ash? :D:D

Matthecks t/R ratio can be (is) overly cautious and should only be used as a starting point in the decision making process. Lots of large diameter veteran and ancient trees with ratios of <1:3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary Prentice said:

Are you sure that it's an ash? :D:D

Matthecks t/R ratio can be (is) overly cautious and should only be used as a starting point in the decision making process. Lots of large diameter veteran and ancient trees with ratios of <1:3

That's based on a tube, an incomplete periphery will rupture earlier

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

That's based on a tube, an incomplete periphery will rupture earlier

I'm not denying that, my point is that the overly, risk adverse will condemn trees because the residual wall, complete or otherwise, is less than 0.3. 

The decision making process involves far more than inputting a figure and breaking the saws out.  

• Like 3