Eco-plugs for chemical felling

Offmeister

5 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

Hi, just curious ..what is it your want rid of ? ......

Semi-mature to mature beech trees in a SSSI and NNR woodland.

It might sound crazy to kill off mature trees and I suppose it is. But the presence of beech in these woodlands is seen as detrimental to the ovetall woodland habitat. 

I should add that we don't erradicate beech, just control its spread and by ring barking rather than felling we create standing deadwood and effect a gradual change to the canopy rather than causing a sudden shock by felling trees outright.

Probably should have posted this on the woodland management forum!

4 minutes ago, Offmeister said:

I should add that we don't erradicate beech, just control its spread and by ring barking rather than felling we create standing deadwood and effect a gradual change to the canopy rather than causing a sudden shock by felling trees outright.

Still curious....to what purpose ? are the beech already suffering from something ?

10 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

Still curious....to what purpose ? are the beech already suffering from something ?

No, the beech are fine.

The problem is that the dense shade their canopies cast and the proliferation of natural regeneration makes it difficult for other species to thrive. Not just tree species but also lichens and other lower plants which is what the SSSI designation is for, the lower plants.

Ultimately we have an obligation to keep the SSSI in "favourable condition". This means not too much beech, amongst other things of course.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Offmeister said:

No, the beech are fine.

The problem is that the dense shade their canopies cast and the proliferation of natural regeneration makes it difficult for other species to thrive. Not just tree species but also lichens and other lower plants which is what the SSSI designation is for, the lower plants.

Ultimately we have an obligation to keep the SSSI in "favourable condition". This means not too much beech, amongst other things of course.

Nature will do this for you In the natural life cycle of any woodland, why would you want to try suddenly invent ancientness or speed up the  evolution of a wood by taking down healthy trees...... apart from anything else standing dead or dying beech are a danger...

And from a SSSI point of view .... I take it that Monsanto has guaranteed that the glyphosate won't transfer to the fungi, lichens and other inhabitants.... flora or fauna of the SSSI ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Offmeister said:

Thanks for this nepia.

I must admit to not having used them myself (although I have seen them I'm action) so not familiar with the details of their usage, especially the limitations.

So it sounds like they should still "work", its just a case of efficacy. And of course, cost!

1 hour ago, Offmeister said:

You make an excellent point. Even with the best intentions its unlikely that all plugs would or even could be retrieved.

Plus we should all do our bit to reduce our plastic usage. 

If your creating standing deadwood and willing to go back to remove plugs, don't worry about the amount you put in. Any type of glyphosate will cause dysfunction to the tree and a slowly dying tree is better for habitat than a tree that dies suddenly.

Go in the woods, record what you do and learn from it. I for one think its a great idea, but ring barking may look more desirable. Bright white plastic in a tree stem is far more eye catching than a chainsaw to the buttress. I can guarantee that you will not retrieve many plugs when they are smashed in as they fan out inside the hole. The plastic is an issue large scale as well like you say.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. 

• Like 1

Felling Beeches? NO!

Have you considered a light crown reduction in order to increase light levels?

:lol: only joking, you want non native species gone but standing dead habitat kept, sounds like an interesting project. put some pictures up if you can :thumbup1:

And you're poisoning a living tree, i think some small bits of plastic is the least of your environmental worries!

Eco plugs from the side on thin barked trees should work well, follow the recommended intervals for the plugs, and buy the correct drill bit (the one with the stopper welded on) and a good drill with good batteries!

Will certainly be the cleanest method of application of poison and no risk to other plants or wild life.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Nature will do this for you In the natural life cycle of any woodland, why would you want to try suddenly invent ancientness or speed up the  evolution of a wood by taking down healthy trees...... apart from anything else standing dead or dying beech are a danger...

And from a SSSI point of view .... I take it that Monsanto has guaranteed that the glyphosate won't transfer to the fungi, lichens and other inhabitants.... flora or fauna of the SSSI ? 

Quite right. But you can say the same about the veteranisation of individual trees and the arguments for and against it will be similar.

There are clearly questions about SSSI status, conditions and obligations but I think that's a separate discussion.

These trees will be well within the woodland and nowhere near paths so the there is effectively no target area.

TBH I hadn't considered the transfer of the glyphosate into other organisms. Thanks for raising it, something to look in to.