Transition to self employed (wages etc)

Carl1991

Surely he’s better off paying you the 120 and avoiding sick pay, holiday national insurance etc?

You’re 27 years old, an accomplished climber (no reason to disbelieve that) the world is your lobster, there’s always people crying out good climbers.

Leave.

• Like 5

If your a hard worker then you should have no problem being self employed with a mixture of subbing for other companies whilst building up your own work.
Just remember that you'll be doing a lot more hours than your current paye situation - full days work + going out quoting + paperwork + maintenance, etc, etc. If you work out your hourly rate wage as self employed it can be pretty piss poor but if you don't mind losing what is currently your off-work time then go for it.

• Like 1

I think it's a big part of me being scared of change. My whole working life has been paye. But I'm worth what I'm asking. I don't mean or want to sound big headed at all, I'm not that kind of lad. The big part worrying me of leaving is what I may call my best could be another company's average, if that makes sense. 

Edited by Carl1991

Leave.

In a nutshell.  You current boss either doesn't know what he is doing with regards to using you full time on SE basis.  If he did then doing the sums would answer his questions.

or he is a ..... (fill in the blank) and narrow minded to boot.

You need to be asking for 140-150 per day to be on the same standards as you currently are.

if he is forcing you to go SE?  Then he is the second option.  

Assuming it is you wanting to go Self Employed

Look at it from your bosses point of view, he has trained you and got you to the position where you are and is paying you a reasonable wage, should be providing you holiday, ppe, pension, equipment, training etc.. 

He doesn't want you to leave if you are freelance you can drop him with no notice and leave him without a climber.

He should NOT be employing you full time, but calling you freelance as that makes you an employee and he could be liable for holiday, pensions, tax etc..

If you are doing your own bits and bobs, can he trust that when a neighbour asks for works that you are going to give him the job or will you steal it?  Is it in his interest to provide you a handy way of building a business that will be in direct competition to his own?

As others have said if you are £90 a day PAYE the £130 is probably not going to be a pay rise and would probably cost the employer less.. It however could cause friction between other employees who might not understand the difference between PAYE and freelance rates.  People on here are constantly comparing paye day rates with freelance rates in a stupid manner. 

We have done it the other way lots of times and taken on freelancers who then go full time, they get what looks like a big pay cut in their daily rates.. If I did it the other way I would be looking for a replacement employee pretty quick and as soon as he/she were found chances are you would lose that regular work..

It's not that simple.. 

Edited by benedmonds

I know if I had a good, solid job and just got first mortgage I’d be staying put paye and letting the boss have all the hassle and unpredictability, get some money off the mortgage before taking the next step. Do bits and pieces on the weekend if need be or jump altogether and get on with it yourself charging what you like, if you’re working in the same area and know the pricing, have own gear, are good etc you’ll be alright. Trying to have a foot in both camps won’t work well.