Transition to self employed (wages etc)

Carl1991

Look at most uk tradesmen.
They wouldn't get out of bed for less than £150 a day.
I got that just for turning up with a bag of power tools for woodworking.
How is it a fencer, carpenter etc is paid the same of more than a guy who uses chainsaws and drops trees???
"Serious lack of decent arb employers"?
Absolutely.

I can agree wit Joes comments on higher money means more difficult / shittier jobs.  A good few years back my rate went up to 150 a day climbing..... i weeded out the crap payers and messers. Bearing in mind at thisnpoint i was running my own business.

on the climbing side of things i had a few good regulars but even some of them went quiet on the phone as why pay 150 out for a job a 100-120 man can do?

would you?

thus when the phone rings youd be going.... hmmmm whats this job lol always did the jobs aswell. 

Ive been on 200.00 a day aswell for higher pressure jobs and harder timescales.

also i dont freelance much now adays and to be fair when i do IT FEELS LIKE A DAY OFF !! More relaxed and i always find it a good day 

• Like 1

Speaking from the the point of view of someone who has run a tree firm.

There are jobs where hiring in a top climber for £200 + (usually includes travel though) makes sense. It’s all down to planning the work well and efficiently . It can help the newer and less experienced climbers aspire to a greater level.

It’s not for every day but every now and then, hiring in a top climber on the right job for top money makes sense and has it’s uses.

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Look at most uk tradesmen.
They wouldn't get out of bed for less than £150 a day.
I got that just for turning up with a bag of power tools for woodworking.
How is it a fencer, carpenter etc is paid the same of more than a guy who uses chainsaws and drops trees???
"Serious lack of decent arb employers"?
Absolutely.

"Serious lack of decent arb employers"

No a serious over staffing in the country, there is only so much in a pot to pay a bloke and with the amount of guys leaving collage every year funded by mummy and daddy with a tranny and tw it only drives prices down, a qualified mechanic is around the 25k mark so is a sparky and plumber, granted they get more if self employed but that's because the public value them more, its a fact of life most domestic people look at us as glorified gardeners and Ladnscapers, Rather than moan at employers why don't you go get your bag of power tools and go earn a load of money cos the situation aint going to get any better soon!

The amount some people are willing to work for in this job amazes me by that I mean contractors pricing the job.

"Serious lack of decent arb employers"

No a serious over staffing in the country, there is only so much in a pot to pay a bloke and with the amount of guys leaving collage every year funded by mummy and daddy with a tranny and tw it only drives prices down, a qualified mechanic is around the 25k mark so is a sparky and plumber, granted they get more if self employed but that's because the public value them more, its a fact of life most domestic people look at us as glorified gardeners and Ladnscapers, Rather than moan at employers why don't you go get your bag of power tools and go earn a load of money cos the situation aint going to get any better soon!

The amount some people are willing to work for in this job amazes me by that I mean contractors pricing the job.

Very progressive attitude mr c.
[emoji12]
  • Like 1