Transition to self employed (wages etc)

Carl1991

Hi all. I have been employed paye in my current position for 6 years, and at the end of this month will be going self employed but sort of staying there and doing my own bits.

I have been in talks with boss regarding wages etc but we have reached a stalemate ( as you were all expecting with this post)

about me

6 yrs arb experience 

3 yrs climbing 

Pricing of work when boss away

(90% approval rate)

The "In house mechanic"

Only climber of 2 who can rig, prune (to a good standard) 

Hedge cutting no problem ladders/ getting in hedges

Climbing kit/saws 

I may not be the usain bolt of climbers but I consider myself good. You can leave me with a new lad on his first day and you know the job will get done well.

I'm asking 120 a day. 

Currently on 90

Been told no unfortunately. 

3 hour discussion the other night got nowhere, and I feel like I'm going round in circles, I'm in the Wolverhampton area.  Am I being fair with this price or not?

Many thanks 

Can you fill a week with work for the foreseeable future? 

If yes leave him too it and thank him for his time and opportunity, don’t burn bridges. 

If no see if you can stay PAYE but for 3 days a week fill 2 yourself with others for more money SE.

or see if hell up your salary to £100 PAYE and stay on his books for a small pay rise. 

Hi all. I have been employed paye in my current position for 6 years, and at the end of this month will be going self employed but sort of staying there and doing my own bits.
I have been in talks with boss regarding wages etc but we have reached a stalemate ( as you were all expecting with this post)
about me

6 yrs arb experience 
3 yrs climbing 
(90% approval rate)
The "In house mechanic"
Climbing kit/saws 

I may not be the usain bolt of climbers but I consider myself good. You can leave me with a new lad on his first day and you know the job will get done well.

I'm asking 120 a day. 
Currently on 90

3 hour discussion the other night got nowhere, and I feel like I'm going round in circles, I'm in the Wolverhampton area.  Am I being fair with this price or not?

Many thanks 

I did similar a few years ago. I was on £95 a day employed and went self employed and stayed working for the same firm on £130 a day. So what you want is not unreasonable tis carried on for nearly 12 months until I had enough work of my own to leave completely.

dont forget you will lose holiday pay, sick pay and redundancy.

120 less 20% for tax leaves your boss a saving as he wont be paying NIC for you anymore as well as all the above. 

As an employer this would be a no brainer for me.

Of course it may not be about the money from your bosses point of view......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No disrespect intended but there is 'the grass is always greener' can be a dangerous thing.

As PAYE you might feel under paid and perhaps you are but with 6 years employment you have reasonable job security, stat sick pay, paternity cover, demonstratable wage for mortgages, loans or credit should you need them.

You go self employed for a bit more money and you have no job security, he (or anyone else) could drop you with no notice at all. You have no sick, no paternity, no redundancy, no holiday pay. Often overlooked is the impact of self employed on your ability to get a mortgage.

£95 A day puts you at £24,700 per year PAYE with all the benefits listed. £120 self employed is £31,200 if you worked 5 days a week 52 weeks of the year. Take off 20 days for normal level of holiday and it's £28,800. Take off some fees for tax returns. Take off the cost of supplying your own equipment and LOLER. Then consider you may not fill everyday you want to work.

If I were your employer and you asked for this arrangement I'd gladly take you up on it as it takes away loads of admin, hassle and risk for virtually no money difference.

I would suggest you need to looking at £150 self employed or you'd be better trying to get to £105 PAYE.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, richy_B said:

No disrespect intended but there is 'the grass is always greener' can be a dangerous thing.

As PAYE you might feel under paid and perhaps you are but with 6 years employment you have reasonable job security, stat sick pay, paternity cover, demonstratable wage for mortgages, loans or credit should you need them.

You go self employed for a bit more money and you have no job security, he (or anyone else) could drop you with no notice at all. You have no sick, no paternity, no redundancy, no holiday pay. Often overlooked is the impact of self employed on your ability to get a mortgage.

£95 A day puts you at £24,700 per year PAYE with all the benefits listed. £120 self employed is £31,200 if you worked 5 days a week 52 weeks of the year. Take off 20 days for normal level of holiday and it's £28,800. Take off some fees for tax returns. Take off the cost of supplying your own equipment and LOLER. Then consider you may not fill everyday you want to work.

If I were your employer and you asked for this arrangement I'd gladly take you up on it as it takes away loads of admin, hassle and risk for virtually no money difference.

I would suggest you need to looking at £150 self employed or you'd be better trying to get to £105 PAYE.

All the above...you do really need to be getting £150 a day for subbie work..lot different when pricing your own as you can make at least double and more for a single day and on bigger jobs considerably more depending on what the job is.in this business no day is ever the same..one day small hedg cutting job for say £100 the next day could be a £500 Removal it’s just the way it is..unless you get on the railways scrub etc bashing under contract then you know what you will be making day to day.

Morning all, yes currently 90 per day paye.

I will still be here 5 days per week (I know that's not the way it should be) apparently he just won't pay that. He pays our other climber 80 ground and 100 aerial. But openly admits he's not very good. Which he isn't (pole saw up a tree rather than get out on em)

We have just moved in to our first home with mortgage so ok there, and for as long as I've been here the subbys have had 5 days per week. 

Partner keeps saying dont sell yourself short etc but it's 10 mins away and pretty much guaranteed.

Just to add i Also I bring my own climbing kit and saw

Many thanks 

Edited by Carl1991

If you are going to be with him 5 days a week then you are not self employed.

Ask yourself - if he is this unscrupulous when you are PAYE how will be be when you have no protection. You are walking into a minefield. Arguably you should inform you mortgage company of any major changes in employment status. check you t&c's.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Carl1991 said:

about me

6 yrs arb experience 

3 yrs climbing 

(90% approval rate)

The "In house mechanic"

Climbing kit/saws 

I'm asking 120 a day. 

Currently on 90

Many thanks 

Go and sub for some other people at what you want or higher. Don't put all your eggs in one basket with the current employer. Get your name out there re sub' climber and get going with your own thing.