Mini tracked hydraulic tip dumper

inthewoods

4 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Well the point is you’re fighting your way through a mess of fallen down trees with a couple of tiny machines to bring out.......bits of wood.

Cannot see the rationale.

As it's not your job, without knowing the layout or the reason then I wouldn't expect you to. 

If someone pays you to remove a tree, do you just leave it there?! ? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, woody paul said:

Why bother with chipping brash just leave it for habitat to replace what you are destroying  and as for logs looks like Turkey oak.

Why bother with tree surgery when there's scrap to collect & drives to tarmac?!! ? it's an ancient walkway from the Grove to a chapel which they want reinstating so that wasn't an option. 

Twas an 80ft ash tree about 6ft dbh

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Looking at getting a mini dumper to move chip to mulch around about 3000 whips chip would be dropped about 1/2K from the furthest trees and route would involve a mix of tarmac and grass and a 30 degree grassed slope.  Seems options of wheeled or tracked and direct or chain drive.  How would the tracks last on tarmac?  Any other pointers or things to look out for.

22 minutes ago, SteveW1000 said:

Looking at getting a mini dumper to move chip to mulch around about 3000 whips chip would be dropped about 1/2K from the furthest trees and route would involve a mix of tarmac and grass and a 30 degree grassed slope.  Seems options of wheeled or tracked and direct or chain drive.  How would the tracks last on tarmac?  Any other pointers or things to look out for.

We have both and on that distance I would go for the wheeled dumper. They are a lot faster and will manage ok on the sticky stuff. If its a quagmire the slower tracked dumper wins, they both have their place . High tip is useful.

Bob

18 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

We have both and on that distance I would go for the wheeled dumper. They are a lot faster and will manage ok on the sticky stuff. If its a quagmire the slower tracked dumper wins, they both have their place . High tip is useful.

Bob

Yep can, the little 1 ton wheeled dumpers are fantastic. I find them much better in soft ground than the 3 ton ones as the wheels are similar size yet far less capacity and weight. 3 ton and above sink quickly in bad ground.

just be a bit cautious of the 1 tonners on undulating ground- they’re pretty narrow and speed can soon throw them.

8 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Yep can, the little 1 ton wheeled dumpers are fantastic. I find them much better in soft ground than the 3 ton ones as the wheels are similar size yet far less capacity and weight. 3 ton and above sink quickly in bad ground.

just be a bit cautious of the 1 tonners on undulating ground- they’re pretty narrow and speed can soon throw them.

Was looking at the walk behind 250Kg ones can't justify anything bigger or have anywhere to store it.  Spent ages last winter replanting those whips that had had failed to survive last years hot spell and have lost some we replanted with this years hot spell so want to give the rest a better chance of surviving next year.

1 hour ago, SteveW1000 said:

If you want to work in any weather condition then go for tracks, if you want speed and something that doesn't tear up the grass then go for wheeled. For me hydraulic tip is a must but for what you're doing it shouldn't matter. I've got a job starting next year clearing a cemetery then adding a thousand tons of topsoil and I'm looking at the muck truck to add to the toy box but not sure if the beds are big enough on them, ideally you want to move as much as possible in each trip.  if it's just mulch then a cheaper mechanical drive should be OK with greedy boards. Talk to Danny @equip4ind for a good deal ? 

1 hour ago, inthewoods said:

If you want to work in any weather condition then go for tracks, if you want speed and something that doesn't tear up the grass then go for wheeled. For me hydraulic tip is a must but for what you're doing it shouldn't matter. I've got a job starting next year clearing a cemetery then adding a thousand tons of topsoil and I'm looking at the muck truck to add to the toy box but not sure if the beds are big enough on them, ideally you want to move as much as possible in each trip.  if it's just mulch then a cheaper mechanical drive should be OK with greedy boards. Talk to Danny @equip4ind for a good deal ? 

Thousand tons?? Long whistle. That’ll take some time in a muck truck!