Rules for CS30 etc. refreshers/retakes?

onetruth

Taken from FISA 301 (previously AFAG 301) para. 34 (full document attached.)

In general, proficient tree workers who regularly practise their skills in the

presence of colleagues and employers will require training less often.

However, advances in technology may justify specific update training, and

certain trained skills such as first aid and aerial rescue will need specific,

regular practice and updating. For chainsaws, INDG317 Chainsaws at work

recommends that refresher/update training takes place every three to five

years. This can often be incorporated as part of training for more advanced

skills. It is important to record and plan for refresher/update training and the

employer must record the structure of the training received by the tree

worker based on the type of work undertaken.

So, in summary, refresher training is an industry 'good practice' thing, considered every 5 years. However, if, for instance, you purchase a tracked-chipper, having only ever previously used towed chippers, machine specific training should be undertaken and whilst ideally this may be with one of the main 2 organizations it can be, and more often is, 'in-house' (but be sure to record this including what, where, when and who.) 

Regards

Paul

FISA 805 Training and Certs.pdf

I'm with Kevin on this, the whole refresher thing is ridiculous. It would be better if the original course was harder to pass, there are plenty with tickets that shouldn't have them. If you want to work in fc forests you have to do a FISA refresher every 5 years! My irata (rope access) ticket has to be redone every 3 years, its a week of training then assessment.

3 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Think yourself lucky it's every 5 years. I have to refresh one of my tickets every 3 years, no refresher, no work. There isn't anything to up skill to either.

Yeah, but that’s for yr second job as in flight sewage treatment plant supervisor for the space shuttle, you gotta keep your flying hours in-date! ?

5 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Yeah, but that’s for yr second job as in flight sewage treatment plant supervisor for the space shuttle, you gotta keep your flying hours in-date! ?

Nothing so glamorous I'm afraid. Confined space entry with escape breathing apparatus!

Not even full B/A with rescue that I used to have but I let it run out and didn't bother refreshing it.

3 hours ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

However, advances in technology

With the exception of Gary’s point about climbing gear / techniques - where the 2 mainstream org’s haven’t kept up with available gear, what significant advances have happened since the back handle chain break?  Fair point about towed / tracked chipper - but the “new” part of that would be a ride on / walk behind tracked piece of plant - the chipper parts are unchanged.  I like your pragmatic approach Paul, self cert or in-house is just as credible as NPTC / LANTRA (if planned, executed & recorded effectively) but the OP is talking about not getting a Safe site card because he doesn’t have formal update.  That might be an over jealous / mis-interpretation of the regs, but there we have a real world example of the impact of unintended consequences....

23 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

but the OP is talking about not getting a Safe site card because he doesn’t have formal update.  That might be an over jealous / mis-interpretation of the regs, but there we have a real world example of the impact of unintended consequences....

I missed that Kevin (or did I, having just re-read it.) However my post was in a general context as it's often a mis-interpreted issue is refresher training. But, as you say, some organisations, including BALI / CSCS and FISA, interpret it in a literal sense and we are currently in discussions with them to try to negotiate acceptance of other, evidence based options, including 'in-house'...not getting very far so far tho ¬¬

Best regards n hope you're well (BTW x2 Cornwall 'specific' ArbACs now :thumbup:)

Paul