One for domestic arb - How do you generate the figure for a typical felling job

Phil_G

I'm just trying thinking about other costs besides the actual felling of a tree. For example is a percentage of a clients invoice paying to use the chipper and if so what sort of usage charge would this be? Do most guys sell the chip on?

If you get some decent pieces of timber would this belong to the client or the arb? I presume it is the property of the client but would be down to a simple agreement?

Other over heads like chainsaw maintanence, consumables etc, how would that be considered in costing?

Anyone know of any sites, posts, books or anything I would love to hear about.

Thanks for reading.

I'm by no means an expert but I've worked out roughly how much it costs per day for business expenses, insurances, paying for equipment + buying new equipment in 3 years etc...

that gives me a figure and I just add what I want to make as profit on top ? of course out of that profit goes all my personal bills, rent etc.. I'm probably not actually making money thinking about it..

• Like 1

No offense but you are overthinking this and will tie yourself in knots. You don't need to be itemized unless you have thousands of customers.

Work out your standard day cost ie 2 men, tipper and chipper. Don't mention to a customer but have a day rate and half day rate. My half day rate is 60% of a full day. Charge them one or the other.

What were you costs last year? Divide that by 200 and you have a good base figure.

All the chip and logs are yours unless agreed otherwise.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richy_B said:

Work out your standard day cost ie 2 men, tipper and chipper. Don't mention to a customer but have a day rate and half day rate. My half day rate is 60% of a full day. Charge them one or the other.
All the chip and logs are yours unless agreed otherwise.

Exactly the type of response I'm looking for thank you!