Jump to content
Bustergasket

Real World Processor Output

Recommended Posts

Yes i agree the small stuff is painstaking, unless you have some time to kill you are better off chipping or put in the boiler, for me it’s worth paying extra for sorted loads and around the larger dia, but that’s mainly as i don’t have much time, also you get significantly more yield out the larger dia loads provided it’s straight ish, happy chopping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my own rarely do more than 8 IBCs a day but always getting sidetracked with other jobs. Get a mate in to give me a hand and we do between 18-20 IBCs a day with me on the processor and him on loading and moving crates. Invariably mixed sized wood from 3" to oversized that need some ringing and putting through the splitter separately. Making 9" logs and being fussy about the split dimensions. Could do appreciably more in a day if we were not so fussy. No log deck

Edited by Woodworks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like people have been saying the quality of what you put in one end massively determines what you get out the other. We've had some awesome loads of ash in this year, all 10-13" dead straight and you can easily do 30/35 cubic metres in a day with a few stops. If it's mainly below 10" your probably looking 15/20. On average about 25 is right on mixed hardwood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ash_smith123 said:

Like people have been saying the quality of what you put in one end massively determines what you get out the other. We've had some awesome loads of ash in this year, all 10-13" dead straight and you can easily do 30/35 cubic metres in a day with a few stops. If it's mainly below 10" your probably looking 15/20. On average about 25 is right on mixed hardwood.

Presuming with 10"-13" wood you have a 12 way splitter? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Presuming with 10"-13" wood you have a 12 way splitter? 

No Ash has a Posch 350 - max 8 way splitter - don't know how he does average 25m3 in a day even with 2 people.

 

We would be pushed to achieve that with the 360 which is a faster machine given the timber available in these parts.  The timber up the line is nothing like that available in the SW - much of it is as straight as Softwood Bar !

 

The quality is now deteriorating as more upgrade to processors and regional Hardwood supplies are dwindling.

 

Edited by arboriculturist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

No Ash has a Posch 350 - max 8 way splitter - don't know how he does average 25m3 in a day even with 2 people.

 

 

 

If that is the case the end product would be unsellable for us. 10"-13" through an 8 way would be a massive log. I would be making minimum 12 logs per ring by re splitting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
No Ash has a Posch 350 - max 8 way splitter - don't know how he does average 25m3 in a day even with 2 people.
 
We would be pushed to achieve that with the 360 which is a faster machine given the timber available in these parts.  The timber up the line is nothing like that available in the SW - much of it is as straight as Softwood Bar !
 
The quality is now deteriorating as more upgrade to processors and regional Hardwood supplies are dwindling.
 
How long is your day? 25 is easily achievable with 2 people and half tidy timber. 15/20 minutes per cubic metre is about right, on 12/13" with the 8 way I've timed a cubic metre in a tad over 5 minutes.
On 10-13" logs the 8 way is perfect, sometimes depending on the shape of the log you need to resplit the top 2 but that takes no time. The 12 way would produce kindling on a 10" log.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Explains some of the variation in productivity given in this thread. 3" x 3" x 9" is the perfect log to most of our customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ash_smith123 said:

How long is your day? 25 is easily achievable with 2 people and half tidy timber. 15/20 minutes per cubic metre is about right, on 12/13" with the 8 way I've timed a cubic metre in a tad over 5 minutes.
On 10-13" logs the 8 way is perfect, sometimes depending on the shape of the log you need to resplit the top 2 but that takes no time. The 12 way would produce kindling on a 10" log.

It's down to the timber Ash - usually not great. 8 hour working time - did 18 today 10" 2 people - but the 2nd person had spare time to do odd jobs while other processing the small 3" - 6" sizes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Explains some of the variation in productivity given in this thread. 3" x 3" x 9" is the perfect log to most of our customers.

I’d be getting complaints if all the logs were that size. Most people want plenty of chunky stuff and like ash says 10-13” through an 8 way produces fantastic logs very quickly too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.