Real World Processor Output

Bustergasket

Hey Guys i thought it would be interesting to see what real world outputs people are seeing from the processors, i was cutting some ash this afternoon, laser set to 9.5 inch and we were seeing 7 bags an hour 1.2 cube bags, not rushing and that allowed for shacking the bags to settle before stacking on pallet, i had a mate loading log deck and taking bags away, we were pleased with that and could see plenty of ways to speed things up a bit, must say the timber was nice and true, and good diameter no small bits, what do you see with other processors ? i know if i turn the cut length up then output goes through the roof

Well my setup is maybe a little less organised and professional than yours....we run a Jappa 700 and usually can't afford more than one person processing firewood, so we achieve a maximum of about 5 or 6 IBC cages per day (1.2 cu m each) or if a lot of the stock is too large or bendy or too long that can drop to 2 cages in a day. 

I don't think Certainly Wood feel threatened by us!!

• Like 1

always liked the look of the japa 700 i think on the small stuff it would be quicker than our current set up, i think the bigger processors come into their own on the bigger timber, i only run our processor for a few days here and there, don’t get much time hence need a higher output in order to do a few hundred bags and then leave it alone

I’ve done an 18t load of 2.8m long reasonably straight beech, a lot of sub 8” diameter though, in 8 hours with our tajfun 400. However that was straight into a barn, no stacking and 2 people keeping the machine fed by hand.

Usually on my own I can do 2 IBC’s per hour average. That’s with the bog standard basic log deck and a bodged non-live feed deck so only able to load a cube at a time anyway.

Suffice to say it’s the loading and moving stillages that slows things down. Give me a live feed deck and a big empty bay in a shed and the tajfun should clear 20 cube a day easily.

I’ve done an 18t load of 2.8m long reasonably straight beech, a lot of sub 8” diameter though, in 8 hours with our tajfun 400. However that was straight into a barn, no stacking and 2 people keeping the machine fed by hand.

Usually on my own I can do 2 IBC’s per hour average. That’s with the bog standard basic log deck and a bodged non-live feed deck so only able to load a cube at a time anyway.

Suffice to say it’s the loading and moving stillages that slows things down. Give me a live feed deck and a big empty bay in a shed and the tajfun should clear 20 cube a day easily.

Yes you are right about moving stuff and jiggling pallets round, my mate could not keep it fed we ran out of timber twice, but this is all plus 8inch right upto 14 inch, the larger dia makes a huge difference, if on my own i bet it would be 2-3 bags an hour with the moving and stacking, we are mega impressed with this new 8 way knife, for us it’s a game changer, as is the larger straight timber, i think if we got organised better 10 bags an hour is possible but the timber would have to be straightish and nothing under 8inch dia, which is harder to find, be interested to see what a 480 could do in an hour on bigger stuff at 10 inch long ?
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SbTVF said:

This post demonstrates how variable Output can be.

With a Posch 360 and auto log deck it can vary from 2m3 / hr with hardwood beansticks which turn us on loads from time to time 3" -4" to 3m/hr with beansticks to bendy 7".

Move up to 8 - 12" and it can be 12m + / day.

All with 1 person loading and moving crates.

• Like 1

With 2 people on normal timber we're 4-5 cube an hour with our tajfun 480+ realistically. That's 9 inch logs into boxes, longer wood is quicker of course and we don't use a log deck so the person loading can knock stuff straight easily. The big processors are only faster on large diameter stuff.

My record with 18inch softwood from big logs through the 12 way was just over 15cube in an hour on my own but obviously that's not a regular occurance.

I think if we graded the logs first it would increase speed a lot but probably not enough to make it worth sorting them first. I would also love to get bigger timber in...

• Like 3

This post is not exactly relevant to the thread title. But its production levels on the small end of the scale and

I don't buy timber in. I can fell and extract 2 ibc cages worth a day on my own (~8hrs), processing with chainsaw and vertical log splitter back at a suitable landing. I am not sure it would be that much quicker with a processor, given much of the time is the felling and extraction, tidying up branches, etc part.

3 hours ago, rowan lee said:

This post is not exactly relevant to the thread title. But its production levels on the small end of the scale and

I don't buy timber in. I can fell and extract 2 ibc cages worth a day on my own (~8hrs), processing with chainsaw and vertical log splitter back at a suitable landing. I am not sure it would be that much quicker with a processor, given much of the time is the felling and extraction, tidying up branches, etc part.

Agreed, even with the machinery available I prefer to do most stuff under 6inch diameter with a chainsaw. Or just chip it.

Our old processor with a manual handle was alright for small stuff but it didn't make the best quality wood and as soon as you have a joystick machine small logs seem painfully slow because the saw comes down at a set speed regardless of what it's cutting.