Low impact forestry services in Devon and the South West

Big J

3 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Thanks!

Seriously though from a biodiversity point of view as opposed to the aesthetics, making a total bollocks of everything isn’t really that bad is it?

Happy to be schooled on this.

I believe there is some truth to this. However combining both should be more efficient as well as being more environmentally sound. More diversity of tree type in planting schemes, staged plantings and thinning, something closer to ccf than clear fell, although I would be happy to see some clear fell of mono blocks as long as replantings are geared towards a different structure of forest. Designated wild areas within plots, to leave connected pockets of wildlife through all stages of work.. as far as Irelands forestry sector goes, its ill thought out, grant driven and based on poor quality with rapid turn around. Linking forests through properly thought out drainage and planting would be a start. Reducing sitka and increasing higher quality woods and mixed soft and hardwood plantations.

All wishful thinking really. Most large sitka  blocks are just hidden from view with a wind break of alder and birch. Dead inside with little or no interest from its owners other than what it will make in subsidies. 

More sympathetic thinning leaving better growing conditions with less wind blow and less root compaction will leave a better long term return.

Not really schooling ya, just ranting in your direction! You mentioned in another thread recently you were in wexford (how stalkerish of me) did you pop over as far as tomnafinogue woods or any of the other smaller oak woods in the area? I'm not advocating turning every wood or plantation in the country into a recreational park, we do have those.. but taking a longer term view of what we are doing instead of just looking at what it's worth today.

• Like 3

Ok thanks for the explanation, it makes sense.

My forestry experience and knowledge is purely as an amateur looking on as I drive by.

Maybe turn the clock back a few years I may have dipped my toe.

All I saw on my trip was bashed up Macrocarpa from the coastal wind and copious bottles of wine (very expensive over there btw) 

Here it’s chestnut under oak and Douglas by and large.

Ok thanks for the explanation, it makes sense.

My forestry experience and knowledge is purely as an amateur looking on as I drive by.
Maybe turn the clock back a few years I may have dipped my toe.

All I saw on my trip was bashed up Macrocarpa from the coastal wind and copious bottles of wine (very expensive over there btw) 

Here it’s chestnut under oak and Douglas by and large.
To be honest my forestry involvement is little more than a couple of weeks brashing or felling edgers here and there.. hate it and only do it if work is very quiet.. but I can see a poor future for our forests in the medium to long term unless action is taken soon.
Ah yes, the one sided maccies! Hideous things! Nice durable wood though, if you can find a straight one.

A lot of truth in ur above post Conor in an ideal world.

Althou generally forests are better thought out now than they used to be.

Think u have the age old problem cheaper in large scale etc, plus when u think about it all those woods harvested the now would of been planted with hand cutting in mind as harvesters/forwarders hadn't been invented. It really wasn't that long ago.

As for ur photo doesnae look great, but I doubt any machinery could of hauled the timber out without making a mess, esp with no decent brash Matt.

Just looks that heavy clay soil, even running feed out with a quad throu rides like that in wet weather soon turns them to porridge.

Possibly more working in the wrong soil/weather conditions than the machinery, if ur climate is similar to ours here in SW Scot with 6ft of rain a year there's not a lot u can do on soft soil.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

I believe there is some truth to this. However combining both should be more efficient as well as being more environmentally sound. More diversity of tree type in planting schemes, staged plantings and thinning, something closer to ccf than clear fell, although I would be happy to see some clear fell of mono blocks as long as replantings are geared towards a different structure of forest. Designated wild areas within plots, to leave connected pockets of wildlife through all stages of work.. as far as Irelands forestry sector goes, its ill thought out, grant driven and based on poor quality with rapid turn around. Linking forests through properly thought out drainage and planting would be a start. Reducing sitka and increasing higher quality woods and mixed soft and hardwood plantations.

All wishful thinking really. Most large sitka  blocks are just hidden from view with a wind break of alder and birch. Dead inside with little or no interest from its owners other than what it will make in subsidies. 

More sympathetic thinning leaving better growing conditions with less wind blow and less root compaction will leave a better long term return.

Not really schooling ya, just ranting in your direction! You mentioned in another thread recently you were in wexford (how stalkerish of me) did you pop over as far as tomnafinogue woods or any of the other smaller oak woods in the area? I'm not advocating turning every wood or plantation in the country into a recreational park, we do have those.. but taking a longer term view of what we are doing instead of just looking at what it's worth today.

i must go and visit there when i'm next back in Wickla as it has an interesting history according to Google.

A lot of truth in ur above post Conor in an ideal world.
Althou generally forests are better thought out now than they used to be.

Think u have the age old problem cheaper in large scale etc, plus when u think about it all those woods harvested the now would of been planted with hand cutting in mind as harvesters/forwarders hadn't been invented. It really wasn't that long ago.

As for ur photo doesnae look great, but I doubt any machinery could of hauled the timber out without making a mess, esp with no decent brash Matt.
Just looks that heavy clay soil, even running feed out with a quad throu rides like that in wet weather soon turns them to porridge.

Possibly more working in the wrong soil/weather conditions than the machinery, if ur climate is similar to ours here in SW Scot with 6ft of rain a year there's not a lot u can do on soft soil.
It was matted, logs put down too. Behind where I took that photo the forwarder got stuck and had to unload on at least two occasions. The weather held up for the most part, soil is good for the area, lots of black almost peat ground around, this is silty but hard ground. I'm well aware how much of a mess you can make if the weather turns on a job and how ground can recover I just think that sometimes smaller may be better.. lots of sub 10ac plots around here which can never see their full potential due to poor management in the early stages.

Who knows, maybe today's plantings will be extracted by giant drone harvesters by remote from the mill!
  • Like 1