Low impact forestry services in Devon and the South West

Big J

A replanting site near Dulverton. 4000 eucalyptus [emoji41]

And the Vimek on our current thinning site. I'm enjoying this one, even if it's taking ages.

IMG_20210918_105442_0.thumb.jpg.8c95568f471a8f43581136aac5478370.jpg
IMG_20210915_165351_4.thumb.jpg.7a7009b5001c093fc9aafb7a2f9113fc.jpg

Speed/rushing a job is often a road to disaster and mistakes! Looks tidy and neat J [emoji108][emoji106]
  • Like 1

Just now, Ratman said:

Your a brute! 🤠

I'd just finished the winch processing for that whole block. Even though I'm going back in later in the week after the harvester, I just didn't want to leave a grabful of logs in there.

The logs on the back are 3m chip with 3.75m log ontop. It won't be a million miles off 5t there. The headboard is 1.85 square metres, and I reckon I've got 3 square metres there. Average length 3.4m, 70% log/30% air space comes to just over 7 cube, so maybe even 6t.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So busy now. Finally finished the conifer first thinning (700t) and a quick stint at the Woodland Trust site to clear 95 cube of ash cut by horse loggers. Then uplifted to the National Trust site for a sneaky week to try to put most of what the chainsaw operatives have cut in the past 4 weeks trackside. It's not possible of course (well not in 5 days) but I should get close to 450t in that time.

This was load 17 of 20 today in 6.5hrs on the machine, and an estimated 80-85t at trackside for the tractor to haul out to the loading bay. 

It's funny how mentally taxing short distance forwarding is. You've got very little time to collect your thoughts on the drive out as it's all crane work.

May be an image of tree and nature

• Like 6