Low impact forestry services in Devon and the South West

Big J

32 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Yes those Harvadig conversions are versatile, fast  and bombproof on steel tracks.

It didn't take you long to find the ideal combo for Devon woodlands!

What is the largest spec. timber you can produce @ 4.9m?

Probably any dbh if using hand cutters also.

Probably around 45cm top diameter on a 4.9m. I still have access to larger machinery for bigger trees.

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Brians said:

Hi @Big J I've really enjoyed reading this thread. It's been quite a journey for you. If you knew 2 years ago what you know now would you still have went for the logbullet or would you have gone straight for the Vimek?

Many thanks :D

I would still have bought the Logbullet, but I wouldn't have gone down the large forwarder and forestry tractor route. The Vimek will be more productive than the Logbullet, but it's much more expensive, and I think regardless, I needed the Logbullet as a stepping stone. It's a great little machine - productive and cheap to run.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brians said:

How do you plan to transport the Vimek since you won't be able to tow it on a 4X4? This will increase transport costs I assume.

Smaller low loader. 

I tend to do bigger sites now where I'm in the same place for weeks, if not a month or two. The haulage cost is recovered fairly rapidly.

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/01/2021 at 21:39, Brians said:

And do you still fell by hand and process with the Kranmann P25?

Hi Brian - sorry I missed you there. 

Yes, we still do a fair bit with the Kranman. With operator, it does the work of two men, but stacks the timber too, so saves on forwarding time too.

A change of machine line-up. The Logbullet has been sold and replaced with a Vimek 610.2 from Northern Sweden. It's not new, but it's low hours and 5 years old. A bigger, but still very small forwarder. 

The Logbullet was great, but just not big enough for the jobs I had lined up. The Valtra N92 tractor and the Komatsu forwarder are for sale, and it'll be just the Vimek and Kranman until we emigrate next year.

May be an image of outdoors and tree

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Big J said:

Hi Brian - sorry I missed you there. 

Yes, we still do a fair bit with the Kranman. With operator, it does the work of two men, but stacks the timber too, so saves on forwarding time too.

A change of machine line-up. The Logbullet has been sold and replaced with a Vimek 610.2 from Northern Sweden. It's not new, but it's low hours and 5 years old. A bigger, but still very small forwarder. 

The Logbullet was great, but just not big enough for the jobs I had lined up. The Valtra N92 tractor and the Komatsu forwarder are for sale, and it'll be just the Vimek and Kranman until we emigrate next year.

May be an image of outdoors and tree

Must have missed this J, Where you off to, Germany?