Low impact forestry services in Devon and the South West

Big J

5 hours ago, Khriss said:

Lovely straight logs :) k

Wish I had more jobs like this. We'll have cleared nearly 3000t in 4 weeks. All hand felled (I like low stumps), a log or two taken off and processed by harvester. 

I think the sweet spot is about 10 lorries a day as it gives me enough time to nip down the hill to grab a load, which goes straight onto the lorry from the forwarder. Two forwarder loads is one lorry load :D

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Fab work J, nice to see those loads coming out the forest. Certainly shows UK forestry can do it ! * now has to go look at the usual days fuck up site clearing*  :( k

It's a rare stand. Good quality timber on good ground. I expect I'll put over 1000t onto the lorries next Tuesday-Friday :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big J said:

Wish I had more jobs like this. We'll have cleared nearly 3000t in 4 weeks. All hand felled (I like low stumps), a log or two taken off and processed by harvester. 

I think the sweet spot is about 10 lorries a day as it gives me enough time to nip down the hill to grab a load, which goes straight onto the lorry from the forwarder. Two forwarder loads is one lorry load :D

U've not done all that with ur wee stroke harvester have u?

Or do u have a mid size 1 now?

The logs don't look that big that a full size harvester couldn't fell and process them. Infact look the sort most operators dream off, meaty and straight but not too big.

Not many sites now u'd fell that amount by hand nowadays, bet the cutters enjoyed it for a change. Proper old school job

Is it quite a dry site? Was going to ask how u get on forwarding without the  deeper brash matt.

8 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

U've not done all that with ur wee stroke harvester have u?

Or do u have a mid size 1 now?

The logs don't look that big that a full size harvester couldn't fell and process them. Infact look the sort most operators dream off, meaty and straight but not too big.

Not many sites now u'd fell that amount by hand nowadays, bet the cutters enjoyed it for a change. Proper old school job

Is it quite a dry site? Was going to ask how u get on forwarding without the  deeper brash matt.

Not especially wet, which is remarkable considering the amount of rain we've had in the past three weeks. Soft, but not wet.

It's all processed with a Harvadig. That was all that was available to me at the time. They average 48cm at chest height, but considerably larger at base. Hand felling them means very low stumps. I reckon we're gaining 20cm of log length off the stump, which at an average 60cm diameter is just over 50kg. With 1200 trees, that's 60 tonnes extra and over £4k when loaded onto the wagon. It also leaves a tidier site and makes extraction easier.

I don't have a harvester yet. Just hiring in. 

The forwarder is doing fine. No issues at all :D

• Like 1